Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 114815 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:36 AM »
Well my Edirol HR failed me with the mic jack problem common to the previous model. I had static and 2-3 second dropouts. It depressed me after all the work involved, not to mention a recording that is almost impossible to fix. I'm going to have to send it in for repair which will take 3 weeks. When I get it back I'm going to use the hot glue method that was mentioned earlier. I wish they would beef up the jacks to be able to take normal wear and tear.

That's very disappointing to hear.  +T for your troubles.  Hopefully this won't be a (relatively) common problem with the R-09HR like on the R-09, but it's not terribly surprising considering the only change really is some more glue or epoxy, and not mechanical  attachment of the jack to the board. 

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2008, 08:10:26 AM »
Well my Edirol HR failed me with the mic jack problem common to the previous model. I had static and 2-3 second dropouts. It depressed me after all the work involved, not to mention a recording that is almost impossible to fix. I'm going to have to send it in for repair which will take 3 weeks. When I get it back I'm going to use the hot glue method that was mentioned earlier. I wish they would beef up the jacks to be able to take normal wear and tear.

That's very disappointing to hear.  +T for your troubles.  Hopefully this won't be a (relatively) common problem with the R-09HR like on the R-09, but it's not terribly surprising considering the only change really is some more glue or epoxy, and not mechanical  attachment of the jack to the board. 

I thought guysonic's pics show a very solid mechanical solution, the jack pins penetrate the board and are bent once through, then soldered...

...I wonder how much torque was applied to the jack that broke?

- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »

I thought guysonic's pics show a very solid mechanical solution, the jack pins penetrate the board and are bent once through, then soldered...

That's right. It's not just glue or epoxy on the new model.
Anyway, sorry to hear that. +T for your problems.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

Ah... thanks for the correction!  +T.  I falsely remembered someone saying that there was just more glue or epoxy but no solid mechanical connections on the input jacks.  Good to hear that I was wrong about that, will definitely pick up a R-09HR if/when my input jacks fail on my R-09.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
I am getting about 7 hours with my sanyo 2700 rechargeables.

I got 7 hours and 7+ hours on 2 tests with Energizer 2700's from WalMart... 4 for 9.99... best deal going, as you should get about 2 years of used on the set of 4, even with taping a lot of shows... that is how long a set of 4 that I rotated in and out of the R09 got me... I am guessing way more than 150 shows

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2008, 03:04:10 AM »
I am getting about 7 hours with my sanyo 2700 rechargeables.

I got 7 hours and 7+ hours on 2 tests with Energizer 2700's from WalMart... 4 for 9.99... best deal going, as you should get about 2 years of used on the set of 4, even with taping a lot of shows... that is how long a set of 4 that I rotated in and out of the R09 got me... I am guessing way more than 150 shows
Thx for this info.
I use Duracell 2650mAh and never get more than 4h15min on my R09-HR.

Well, nevertheless 4 of these rechargeables make 8h-8h30min and I wont be taping more than 8 hours a day anyway.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:06:08 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2008, 05:21:13 AM »
I use Duracell 2650mAh and never get more than 4h15min on my R09-HR.

Well, nevertheless 4 of these rechargeables make 8h-8h30min and I wont be taping more than 8 hours a day anyway.

+T

I was using Energizer 2500 mAh and changed to these Duracell 2650 mAh's early this year, there is no contest that these are a better battery than the Energizer. I am in the process of converting my whole collection to these (all 24 of them...slowly :) ). While I know there are a lot of great AA rechargeable around, the Duracell's are easy to find (at my local supermarket).

digifish
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:23:29 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »
Digifish's test results show very clearly the low level of self-noise of the
R-09HR's built-in preamp when used with good external mics.

Flintstone

I'd agree with that. The internal pres do a very good job (from a hiss/noise perspective they are at first impression similar to the R44, something to find out). Remember that the ticking-clock test is a tough and revealing comparison. I am confident that for recording most bands, that you would not need anything more than an R09HR + Phantom-box + nice mics.

I will be making some field recordings of things at various levels over the next week or so. As I have an R09, R09HR, R44. All have internal mics so...

R09 - internal mics / external mics + internal Pres / external + MixPre

R09HR - internal mics / external mics + internal Pres / external + MixPre

R44 - internal mics / external mics + internal Pres / external + MixPre

...would seem to be in line for direct comparison.

digifish

I'd be glad to hear.

Especially the internal mics for field recordings, as you said they were quite OK..  :)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:16 AM »
Digifish's test results show very clearly the low level of self-noise of the
R-09HR's built-in preamp when used with good external mics.

Flintstone

I'd agree with that. The internal pres do a very good job (from a hiss/noise perspective they are at first impression similar to the R44, something to find out). Remember that the ticking-clock test is a tough and revealing comparison. I am confident that for recording most bands, that you would not need anything more than an R09HR + Phantom-box + nice mics.

I will be making some field recordings of things at various levels over the next week or so. As I have an R09, R09HR, R44. All have internal mics so...

R09 - internal mics / external mics + internal Pres / external + MixPre

R09HR - internal mics / external mics + internal Pres / external + MixPre

R44 - internal mics / external mics + internal Pres / external + MixPre

...would seem to be in line for direct comparison.

digifish

I'd be glad to hear.

Especially the internal mics for field recordings, as you said they were quite OK..  :)

So long as the source is loud enough the R09HR internals do a respectable job...I have this one up at Freesound, that I was pleasantly surprised...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=57857

You will need to create an account to download the file (and why not :) ) the online preview is quite compressed. It was raining all weekend, so I didn't get a chance to do any field recording, still high on my 'to do' list.

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »
I gave up the rechargeables for good. Back to Duracell.

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »

??? :o

Why?

digifish
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:44:58 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »

Why?

digifish

Why not?  ;D

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »

Why?

digifish
Why not?  ;D

The conservative life expectancy of a AA nimh battery in the hands of the average consumer is about 250 charge cycles. That means you will save, at least ((250 x $Cost-of-disposables) -  (Cost-of-NiMH + Charger)). That works out to (a worst case scenario of) saving ~ $220 (per battery). 4 batteries is ~$650.

digifish

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:27:52 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2008, 12:07:10 AM »

Why?

digifish
Why not?  ;D

The conservative life expectancy of a AA nimh battery in the hands of the average consumer is about 250 charge cycles. That means you will save, at least ((250 x $Cost-of-disposables) -  (Cost-of-NiMH + Charger)). That works out to (a worst case scenario of) saving ~ $220 (per battery). 4 batteries is ~$650.

digifish

You're probably right. Maybe it's a mojo thing. I don't like/trust them rechargeables.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »

You're probably right. Maybe it's a mojo thing. I don't like/trust them rechargeables.
We're not in the NiCd age anymore. We have NiMH, Li-Ion, etc.
Does you ipod run on unrechargable AA's?

When it saves both the environment and cash and works well...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com