Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR  (Read 93064 times)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
question (haven't even messed with my 90HR yet) - Can you use the onboard mics and the line in concurrently?  Say, to have a board line in and some ambience too, like a matrix?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
First order of business is to get a larger SD card and rechargeable batteries if you don't have have said items.

What is the stardard for rechargables.....  I've been use alkaline duracells

Thanks
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2009, 01:00:40 PM »
I was recommended the Eneloop Sanyo batteries.  They come pre-charged and hold a charge for a year with little decline.

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
question (haven't even messed with my 90HR yet) - Can you use the onboard mics and the line in concurrently?  Say, to have a board line in and some ambience too, like a matrix?

No, I've never heard of anyone able to do that and I've never been able to.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 03:00:58 PM »
I was recommended the Eneloop Sanyo batteries.  They come pre-charged and hold a charge for a year with little decline.

For a brand I don't really care as long as the mA is pretty high. I use Sanyos (I think that's how it is spelled) 2700-2800 mAs.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »
I recommend 'low self discharge' NiMH rechagables.  You give up a small amount of total power capacity compared to standard NiMH, but those higher capacity standard batteries will actually have less power remaining a few days after charging and lose most all of their charge within a month.  The low-self-discharge types offer me more peace of mind and run for 6 (or more) hours which is plenty for me.  The Sanyo Eneloops are in that family and there are also others like the Maha Imedions that I've been using for the past year. The Imedion is a bit newer tech with a slightly higher power capacity.  It is one of the few that has a higher measured mAhr rating than what is printed on it's label.  I think mine are 2100 mAhr.  Most any (fully charged and healthy  ;)) NiMH AAs will last longer than alkalines.

A quick search found this comparison giving top ranking to the Eneloops... and a later comparison with the Kodak and Imedions topping the list once they became available.

You won't go wrong with any of those.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:48:31 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »

I would also recommend the Sanyos rechargeables.  With the 2700mAh regular (non-Eneloop) Sanyos I get 7+ hours recording at 24/96 with the backlight on and 9+ hours at 24/44.1 (what I typically record at).  They are rock-solid and haven't let me down yet.  Most major brands are fine though, I've used LaCrosse and Energizers as well and they work just fine as well.

Offline pgadams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »

I would also recommend the Sanyos rechargeables.  With the 2700mAh regular (non-Eneloop) Sanyos I get 7+ hours recording at 24/96 with the backlight on and 9+ hours at 24/44.1 (what I typically record at).  They are rock-solid and haven't let me down yet.  Most major brands are fine though, I've used LaCrosse and Energizers as well and they work just fine as well.
I have been using the 2700 Powerex with similar results.
Mics.................CSBinary, CSCardioid, CA Cardioids
BB ...................CS bb
D/A Converter....Mic 2496
Preamps............CA 9100                           
Recorder...........Axim X50v / Edirol R-09HR

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »
thanks for all the replies.  Looks like I'll be doing a little shopping this weekend.

Offline jchall

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »
Just checking in...I pulled the trigger on an R-09HR.  Supposed to be delivered Friday.   ;D

You won't regret it!
First order of business is to get a larger SD card and rechargeable batteries if you don't have have said items.

Got it yesterday and played with it a little last night.  I have a new SD card on the way, and I'm looking for batteries.  I am also updating the firmware to v1.06.  I downloaded the file unzipped it but I can't open the readme.pdf. I get a damaged file message.  I'm assuming that is the directions on how to update the firmware and the other file "R09HR_PRG.UPD" is the update.  Does anyone have that read.me file that they can send me or if not, the quick and dirty directions for updating the firmware.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Open: Peluso CEMC-6(ck-2, ck-21, ck-4, ck-41)>FR2LE
Not so Open: AT853-U(o, sc, c, h, sg)>CA ST-9100>R-09HR or MT2496
Old Time: Beyerdynamic m201(c)>Marantz PMD420

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2009, 01:45:38 PM »
R-09HR System Update Version 1.06
Change of version 1.06
* Compatible with 32GB SDHC (High Capacity) memory cards.
* Improve the S/N ratio during 88.2kHz/96kHz recording/playback.
Note to Mac users:
SDHC memory cards are incompatible with Mac OS9. To avoid problems such as data clash, please do
not connect to Macs via USB while running OS9.
System Update Procedure for the R-09HR
Note:
* A USB cable and an SD memory card, formatted with the R-09HR, are required.
* Do not perform this update with battery power only; please use the included AC power adaptor.
* Never turn the power off during the update procedure.
* The setup data, such as display contrast and recording format, with be initialized.
1. Confirm that the R-09HR's power is off.
2. Insert the SD memory card that has been formatted on the R-09HR.
3. Turn on the R-09HR's power.
4. Connect the R-09HR to your computer via USB cable. The computer will recognize the
R-09HR as a USB drive.
5. Copy the extracted “R09HR_PRG.UPD” file to the R-09HR's root directory.
6. Un-mount (eject) the R-09HR's drive image from the computer.
7. Turn the R-09HR's power off.
8. While holding down the [REC] button, turn on the R-09HR's power; do not let go of the [REC]
button until the “Program Update” screen appears.
Note:
* If “PROG:1.06” is displayed, there is no need for an update at this time.
* A “--no card--” or “--no update file--” message may be displayed briefly, but it does not indicate a
problem.
* When the “--no card--” or “--no update file--” message is kept on the screen, please turn the power
off and confirm the existence of the “R09HR_PRG.UPD” update file on the SD card.
9. Press the [REC] button. The following message will be displayed and the update processing
will progress automatically. Update processing requires about 30 seconds.
Note:
* Never turn off the R-09HR power or eject the SD memory card while the above message is shown.
10. Once the update has completed, a message “Program Update Complete!!” will appear on the
screen.
11. Turn off the power and then turn it on again. Check the version number displayed on the
bottom-left corner of the boot-up screen. If the latest version is displayed, then the update is
complete.
12. Delete the “R09HR_PRG.UPD” file on the SD card, via USB connection from a computer, or
using the R-09HR's card format function.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »
I didn't know people didn't know 1.06 was out.  I installed it when I got mine a week or two ago.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
So, what setting should I use to record?  What Hz, that is?

I'll do 24 bit.  But 44.1 -----> 96, and all the ones in between are confusing.  is 96Hz just two channels of 48Hz?

Sorry, noob to the 09.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
I recommend 'low self discharge' NiMH rechagables. 

I have had much better results with the Eneloops than with higher capacity NiMh's that are not low self discharge. They last plenty long (at least for my purposes) and never seems to give me problems. Also it's nice not to have to reharge the day of a concert.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
also, what number should I shoot for when I'm looking at levels?  Just under clipping?  Or should I hold back a bit.  Thanks, recording for my first time w/this tonight.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com