Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR  (Read 93696 times)

Offline roxia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
So I "locked" the card on that 'thingy' on the actual card.

And I transfered the two wav files over to my computer. One file was 2 gb and the other about 600 mb+
When the second wav file (600mb+) was being copied, the Edirol disconnected itself and the transfered stopped, then it connected again. I tried to copy the second file again and it went well.

It took 10 minutes.

Everything seems to work good now :) Now I only need to learn how to edit it all :P crank the volume a bit and such.

I was doing between -12 and -6 as loudest :)
Video: Canon HF100
Audio: Edirol R-09HR / ST9100 / CA14

Taped shows:
5 audio / 2 video

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
hi all. I'm a perfect beginner and not only in this topic but all audio taping...
I tried to go thru on most of 4 parts topics...
Thinking of choosing this recorder, have read here mostly good things about it.

My aim is to record rock/metal shows, and that's why I worry what to buy... Im just afraid of distortion, noisy recording, all what I wish is a normal, listenable result... (I'd not stand in the first row, but 15-30 meters from the stage)
(an important point also that I cant pay more than this, and first I'd try recording with internal mics, nothing else to buy than an audio recorder for a while)
Also I'd tape in little venues, but there I cant run farther than 15 metres, so do you have experiences in such a case?
Ive heard a cool metallica bootleg recorded by 09HR and read some other tapers here, but I'd like to read some more experiences of taping heavy music with 09HR and internal mics!
(how much is this better than Zoom h2 for example? So is sony M10 / 50 better, or is this just as good?)

Thanks a lot for this great forum!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:47:42 AM by shownomarcy »
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »
I'd like to read some more experiences of taping heavy music with 09HR and internal mics!

Bottom Line:  if you try to record loud music with internal mic - you'll be sorely disappointed bro.  It'll sound like shite.

In addition to the recording device, you'll have to get some (at least) OK mics and a battery box or preamp.  You get these three items and you'll then have a chance of recording loud rock/metal shows and getting some decent recordings.  You'll still need to learn how to position yourself and position the mics - but you've got to have some decent gear first.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
But I only got an Edirol R-09HR and not a preamp ST-9100 and CA-14 (yet).
What will be a good input level to start out with? Around 20-30, or as high as 40 ?

I will peak around -12 and -6 as you guys have told me. I will do 24/96

raise or lower the levels until the meter is around the -12 to -6. there's no magical number because if a number did exist, it wouldn't be constant.

agreed.  with just a 9V battery box I usually run my r-09HR at around 60 and move up or down from there.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #244 on: December 02, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
hi,
yes I believe with external mics and other stuff are much better.
I just want to say I bought my Edirol and after first night (3 bands) Im satisfied with the result, luckily!
here is a sample (I synched the edirol sound to this video. just a little volume up and eq made in sony vegas to make too heavy "oomp" sound disappear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWerq-LWaQ

I hope you like it, and thanks to this forum for help!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:01:14 PM by shownomarcy »
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »
hi,
yes I believe with external mics and other stuff are much better.
I just want to say I bought my Edirol and after first night (3 bands) Im satisfied with the result, luckily!
here is a sample (I synched the edirol sound to this video. just a little volume up and eq made in sony vegas to make too heavy "oomp" sound disappear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWerq-LWaQ

I hope you like it, and thanks to this forum for help!

Sounds pretty good.  8)

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2009, 06:06:21 AM »
Hi guys!!

I'm italian, sorry if i made some mistake with english.

I will go to taping Deep Purple on 14 december, and i have an Edirol R09HR. This is my 1st experience of taping with this gear.
I have upgrade the firmware with the 2.0 version, now i want to know some information about the settings of the gear.

I use the internal mic, with the mic gain LOW, the LIMITER/AGC set to OFF, LOW CUT set to OFF. Is it fine for a rock concert?

Then, which is a good input level for a live concert ? I can set it from 0 to 80 ....

Please reply with some tips for make a good recording.
Thanks

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
Just had a problem two times in a row. When my r-09HR started a new file after 2:15
of recording, the second file was corrupted when i got home and tryed to open it. Thankful both
times it was the closing applause and i didn't miss more than a few seconds of music on one show.
Could not be repaired by any wave header program.

I attributed this to deleting the last files on the card instead of formatting. I will format from now on.
On my reg r-09 i deleted files hundreds of times without any issues.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
Andrea82, your english is great.  Sounds like you have it figured out.  Your question is covered every few pages in this thread whenever someone new buys one of these recorders.  The best answer is found one page back:

I just recieved my Edirol R-09HR

I just wonder how you figure out what input level you will be using before the band starts to play you want to tape?
Do you wait for them to start playing and then set your levels? Do you set your levels when the support act is playing? Or how do you do it?

The only sure way is to sneak a chicken into the show (you may have to crotch it) and sacrifice it in the bathroom before the performance begins.  Then wipe a little of the blood on your recorder and you'll be fine.   Oh wait - R09?  I was thinking of the Microtrack.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
Andrea82, your english is great.  Sounds like you have it figured out.  Your question is covered every few pages in this thread whenever someone new buys one of these recorders.  The best answer is found one page back:

I just recieved my Edirol R-09HR

I just wonder how you figure out what input level you will be using before the band starts to play you want to tape?
Do you wait for them to start playing and then set your levels? Do you set your levels when the support act is playing? Or how do you do it?

The only sure way is to sneak a chicken into the show (you may have to crotch it) and sacrifice it in the bathroom before the performance begins.  Then wipe a little of the blood on your recorder and you'll be fine.   Oh wait - R09?  I was thinking of the Microtrack.

Ok! I have read the pages, thanks  :)

Just another question: Is it reccomended to record with MIC GAIN set to LOW?

Offline zosofan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
hey gang,

picked up a used r-09hr yesterday.  it is just the recorder, no remote and no ac adaptor.  can someone post the model numbers for these parts?

i have a couple of r-09's and i know the ac adaptor is PSB-6U, but i can't find info on the one for the hr.

-UPDATE-

did a little more searching and found this link: http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/assets/media/pdf/Adaptors.pdf

it is the same ac adaptor.  now to find the remote.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:04:34 PM by zosofan »
:)   record jackie greene whenever you can   :)
eye thank ewe

zosofan

www.jackiegreene.com

mics: nak cm-300s with cp-1, cp-2, cp-4; at831; at853 cards; at933 mini-shotguns
pre's: 2 - CA9100 1/8" mini's, 1 - CA9100 mini-xlrs
recorders: 2 - edirol R-09, 1 - edirol R-09hr, 1 - roland R-05, 1 - tascam dr-70

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
hey gang,

picked up a used r-09hr yesterday.  it is just the recorder, no remote and no ac adaptor.  can someone post the model numbers for these parts?

i have a couple of r-09's and i know the ac adaptor is PSB-6U, but i can't find info on the one for the hr.

-UPDATE-

did a little more searching and found this link: http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/assets/media/pdf/Adaptors.pdf

it is the same ac adaptor.  now to find the remote.

If you don't have the remote, thats what I would get over the AC adapter. the battery life on the 09hr is very good and the adapter doesn't charge the batteries--only provides power while its plugged in.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline oudplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
    • musiq.com
« Reply #252 on: December 11, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I just got my Naiant preamp which will be my permanent front-end to my r-09HR. I'm trying to figure out the ideal gain staging for the setup, and am wondering if the input level control on the Edirol is controlling an attenuator on the input (meaning that input level set at max would avoid using the attenuator and thus hypothetically be ideal regarding headroom/ S/N ) or, rather, if there is a nominal level above which one is adding amplification.

For reference, I did a test recording with the Naiant volumes cranked to the max and the Edirol set at input level of 30, which was the optimum level for the source in question. It sounded quite good, but I'm wondering if a different gain staging might sound "better"...

Thanks in advance!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2009, 11:50:12 PM »
[there is a nominal level above which one is adding amplification.] -yes, and it attenuates at lower settings.

You're probably near the sweet spot around 30 or near half the input scale.  I use the older R-09s with input range numbers that run from 0-30 and shoot for 13-17 or so.  An actual HR user may chime in.. it was covered early on in the earliest HR thead if you want to go back and look.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2009, 09:10:22 AM »
Chris Church once posted that the line in unity gain is 38. 
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com