Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SOUND DEVICES 7-SERIES RECORDER UPDATE  (Read 81756 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:SOUND DEVICES 7-SERIES RECORDER UPDATE
« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2004, 09:47:24 AM »
If you take a look at the SD website, they mention that 'mic in' on the unit offers continuous analog gain and that 'line in' on the unit has .5 db stepped attenuation.  Nutter inquired about the stepped attenuation and they responded that it would leave noisey artifacts.  

Will Doug be able to modify the FR-2 so that its the same size as the 722 and has a 20, 40, or 60gig hard drive?

I don't want to debate the various features of these two boxes.
The SD722 is a very cool toy, but expensive for a hobbyist.

Doug is making for competition, a good thing for pricing overall, and the industry.

The hard drive issue is interesting. There's strong sentiment that HD recorders will go into obsolesence when removable media become larger, faster, smaller, cheaper.  The ability to remove and plug a flash card is faster and more accurate than a transfer to a DAW.

Now, if Doug can make the FR-2 smaller, I'll buy him the pointy wizard hat.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 09:52:42 AM by BobW »

jpschust

« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2004, 09:58:14 PM »
bob, as per the hd issue i think we are looking off into the more distant future for that, not the next year or so.  i give it 3-5 years before we are willing to eliminate hd's.  the technology is just too expensive right now.  coming down in price, but just too much.  plus not at the 10+ gig range yet.

Offline Stuart

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2004, 06:23:16 AM »
Knowing I'm practically a stranger around here and that forum username unfamiliarity typically foments suspicion...

I would humbly submit that I found the construction quality of the FR-2 to be on a [desperately grasping] par with that of a late-production-cycle Teddy Ruxpin (the Korean knockoff with fur made from the ashes of ground-up American flags).  

Not to offend any Plushies who still enjoy a certain enthusiatic robotic teddy bear (everyone gets lonely), but I'd venture to guess that even they'd admit a woeful inadequacy in the structural integrity in the FR-2 should they have purchased one to record their clothy "interactions".

I've got a 722 on preorder from a dealer down the street.  

FUCK FOSTEX for disgracing the PD-2 (& even the 4).  Price notwithstanding, but they pretended the thing wasn't a toy...

(My words probably forged from thirstfully tipping the bubbling kiln of cheap beer and stupidity)

Stuart (a very cool name for a tru playa)

I suck.  But I make a living screwing around with noise.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2004, 07:24:02 AM »
ditto to what boogie said

as much as mr natelsky is bashing this thing now, we all know he'll buy one anyway :)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »
he buys one of everything
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2004, 02:41:12 PM »
sometimes 2! :D

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2004, 07:17:38 PM »
Won't the Fostex  be just as expensive as the 722 after all is said and done?

FR2 =                             $1300
4 x 5gig pcmcia cards = $  800
Oade mod   =??=    >     $ 300
                                      ---------
                                      $2400

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2004, 05:49:12 AM »
Ah!  but which will be better - that is a more appropraite question...bwahahahahahaha
(you know doug's box will kick ass - but that ass of SD?  who knows)

Offline scb

« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2004, 06:56:04 AM »
>>(you know doug's box will kick ass - but that ass of SD?  who knows)<<

how do we know his box will kick ass?

and isn't a big issue with the fostex box that it's built so cheaply?  sound devices products are notorious for being built like tanks.  you can practically run over an mp2 and it'll still work

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #264 on: May 07, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »
i cant believe some of you guyz are preordering these w/ out hearing them, what if it soundz like CRAP and you wanna sell immediately

also, i have some 24bit stuff, its prolly my playback, but i couldnt justify spending that kind of cash JUST for 24 bit...

when a jb3 is 180 bux
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Stuart

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #265 on: May 07, 2004, 03:51:26 PM »
i cant believe some of you guyz are preordering these w/ out hearing them, what if it soundz like CRAP and you wanna sell immediately

also, i have some 24bit stuff, its prolly my playback, but i couldnt justify spending that kind of cash JUST for 24 bit...

when a jb3 is 180 bux

I preordered because Location Sound had sold their last one, so guilty over here.  Did it through B&H though, and they took it back without a so much as asking why I didn't like it.  Ate the shipping, though.  Twenty five bucks to find out it wasn't the box, not great, but not the end of the world either.   Your point is valid though, but I was in a hurry to get something for an upcoming shoot.    

It's funny, I took the FR-2 out of the box and put it right back in without even turning it on.    My DAP-1 is built like a brick in comparison.  I'm always running around, falling down embankments, bumping into walls, etc. when I'm field recording, and that box looked and felt like it wouldn't survive day #1.  Just my opinion, and I hate to trash manufacturers, but I feel like if I'm loud about this one I just might save somebody some pain and money down the road.

S.  

Offline scb

« Reply #266 on: May 07, 2004, 04:26:47 PM »
>>i cant believe some of you guyz are preordering these w/ out hearing them, what if it soundz like CRAP and you wanna sell immediately<<

Some people are preordering because they simply want a hard disk recorder that is rugged and will do high bit/sample rates.    Remember, the HHB was VERY expensive (still is) when it came out.  The DA-P1 also wasn't a cheap box, yet people used it for a recorder only.  

>>also, i have some 24bit stuff, its prolly my playback, but i couldnt justify spending that kind of cash JUST for 24 bit...<<

It may be your playback.  I really started to hear a difference at 24/96.  24/48 not so much...

>>a jb3 is 180 bux<<

can you step on a jb3 while it records? Sound Devices products can take a beating

jpschust

« Reply #267 on: May 07, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »
im not skeptical of the sound, but of the bugs.  this is really untested waters for everyone involved.  id like to wait for gen 2 to consider buying one.  i want to see if the unit has locking problems, how their master word clock works, etc.  im not ruling it out, but for now my laptop seems pretty comforting.  

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #268 on: May 07, 2004, 05:57:14 PM »

when a jb3 is 180 bux

Point noted.  Its a leap of faith I guess, but I can justify it on several levels:

I have 2 friends within 15 miles who both run the same rig as I do with the exception of different capsules.

I feel mics make the most impact on the sound of a recording and I am 100% happy with the sound I get out of my mics.  I mean, worst case scenario, this thing will sound like a straight MMe recording...  and I'll always have access to a V3.

Size matters to me.  The less I carry, the happier I am.  No matter how dependable the jb3 is these days, I don't want to add two boxes, more cables, or converters to my bag.

I haven't bought anything new for the rig in over a year.  I haven't played musical rigs and am not in debt from any purcahses.  Time for a change in the rig and to start focusing on the playback system...

I am ready to move away from 16/44.  I fucking hate CDs.  They are clutter.  I can't wait to have the opportunity to have it all on one disc.

I will have the opportunity to run the unit before I actually purchase my own.  If I *really* hate it, I can always spend the $200 on something else...

The fact that they are sending the first productin run to the retailers is comforting to me.  That helps to prevent the same thing that occurred with the MMe from happening with the 7-Series.

Regardlezz, I may get burned, and that is a risk I am willing to take.  If it doesn't work out, at least I got to try something new out.  In my situation, I just don't want to wait another few years on a device that isn't even in the works yet.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #269 on: May 12, 2004, 05:07:57 PM »
Any word from SD on meeting the delivery target for end of May?  

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com