Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Most Flexible Recorder  (Read 5394 times)

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Most Flexible Recorder
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »
Hello,

So, I'm exploring my options in the realm of a new recorder and have found three that I think might work. I'm looking for something really flexible- Things I'd like to record include (but are not limited to) classical concerts, bar gigs, open mics, buskers, interviews, and informal jam sessions. The three setups I'm considering:

1) Tascam DR-100mkII

2) Sony M10, as well as some sort of small mixer/power supply to allow for XLR in should I need it.

3) Marantz PMD661

Now, I realize that the Marantz is a huge step up from the other two in price, and that's part of my question. The Marantz is just outside of my budget right now, but I'd be willing to wait and save if it's going to be a giant step up from the other two in quality/usefulness. I'm leaning towards the M10 and then buying some sort of external mixer and power supply for when I need it, which would give me a highly portable setup (M10 alone) or one with many inputs/options (with mixer). The DR-100mkII seems to be a compromise between the two, but is compromise really a good thing?

-Tyler

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Most Flexible Recorder
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »
I was totally unaware of it until today, but a lot of members here who are using phantom powered mics seems to love the DR100mkii:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152321.0
It sounds like a great recorder with a much better bang for the buck than the Marantz-661.

As for myself, I'm happy with an M10 or R-09HR (and a preamp when I want to use phantom powered mics).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »
I really like the Tascam DR100MKII. It is a fantastic recorder for the price, it has lots of really nice features and I think the pre's sound really good. It also is not really in the same league as the Marantz PMD 661. I have both, and while they may look similar, they really are not at all similar. The PMD 661 to me is worth the extra money in the same way one might want a Sound Devices 722 over a Tascam HDP2 (there may be a better example, but hopefully you get my drift). Additionally, if you want the S/PDIF digi in feature to work universally, the Tascam may disappoint. That is what led me to explore and then buy the Marantz PMD 661 after getting the Tascam which did not work with my Mytek 192 ADC. I have no regrets over owning the Tascam, but now that I own and have played with both I just think the Marantz PMD 661 is a much higher quality machine.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:34 AM »
What kind of set up are you going to use with it?  Are you going to be travelling with it?  Is this a more formal approach to the hobby, or just an informal all in on box for recording on the go?  Feature set alone the 661 is clearly the most versatile.  No question there.  The Tascam is second and the M10 is last.

I would imagine the decision would depend on the rest of your gear chain and your preferred ease of set up.  Are you planning on just having the recorder and some mics handy that you can plug and go with out much hassel?  The Tascam and 661 obviously you can just plug in some P48 mics and be good to go.  With the M10 you will need some sort of extra piece in the chain.  Is that a selling point either way?  The M10 and say a tiny box wouldn't take up much more space than the 611 and would be roughly the same price.

Don't know how much simplicity is a selling point so do you plan on using the internal mics for the "informal" stuff like busking/interviews/jam sessions?  Can't comment on the differences but might be something to look into if thats a criteria.

Pure simplicity says the Tascam and 661 seem like the choice if you're informal and walking down the street "oh, man I should record this," or just want to set up at a bar quick and simple and forget it.  Small P48 mics, a pair of cables, the recorder, and some batteries wouldn't take up much more than a small section of backpack.  The M10 adds a whole other step to that.  Its not much, but its another thing moving around, another cable ect...  However, if the extra outside preamp isn't a concern there are a ton of options (which ultimately add to the price).  Though, you might be able to find a modded 611 in the YS that sounds just as good as any of the decks with an affordable external pre.

So, it really depends on what you are looking for and your planned use of the gear I would think.

Offline TAlderson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:17:31 AM »
Yeah, I should have been more specific in my first post. I'm looking for something that I could carry with me "just in case," as well as a quick "hey I'm going to/playing a show tonight, maybe I can get some good recordings." For anything heavy-duty or that I want real pro audio from I've got a laptop recording setup that I can lug over, so I'm not looking for show stopping audio. I'm mainly looking for something to record the concerts, jam sessions, buskers, open mics, etc. that I go to anyway, so that I can go back and enjoy them again or share them. I also do some radio work, so it would be nice to have something I can throw in a bag for quick interviews.

P48 is actually not as big a deal for me, as I have a couple of plug-in power mics and a battery powered AT omni. Obviously, I would rather have it than not, and I do have some mics that require it, but it's not a do or die feature. For me, I feel like the M10 is the right size, but I'm wavering over the fact that it doesn't have XLR in and the fact that it only has 1 input, as well as wondering if the 661 is enough of an upgrade in overall quality to justify the price. I don't want to buy a recorder, then want to upgrade a year down the road.

-Tyler

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:47 AM »
Interviews, busking, that sort of thing....the PCM-M10 internal mics easily do the job.  I think it's a great point-and-shoot field recorder.

But I don't have the fancier gear.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »
Given the wide range of situations in which you want to record (and your budget), I think I would opt for the M10 and a P48 tinybox.  Then you could go recorder only; recorder and plug-in power or battery powered mics; or recorder, tinybox and P48 mics, depending on what sort of results you were looking for in a given recording.  I think an M10 and tinybox, together, would be cheaper than a PMD661 and smaller as well...

Offline Rodhiripod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • THE SOUND IS THE IMAGE OF THE IMAGINATION
    • SOUNDCLOUD
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
excuse my English but I speak very bad, I hope you understand.

I tried the marantz pmd661 with Azden FMX-32, also with the m10 sony pcm. There are some differences in the qualities of sound as a whole, but the Azden provides phantom power for the PCM m10 gives sufficient length for long recording sessions. PMD 661 however has a sound color important.

the issue of ease of use in audio bags made ​​me ask those of marantz, why not design a pmd configurations to handle in field mixer?
I sent a simple photo of an idea. they are attached

greetings from chile
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:42:54 PM by Rodhiripod »
FIELD RECORDING, SOUND ART, POST.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Interviews, busking, that sort of thing....the PCM-M10 internal mics easily do the job.  I think it's a great point-and-shoot field recorder.
  Hmmm.  Actually, it's a "shoot" recorder - no pointing required because the mics are omni so it doesn't matter which way it's facing.  But if the interview isn't in a quiet space all the surrounding noise will be captured too with no discrimination.  And for buskers you'll get a close to mono sound.  For a carry-around-in-pocket recorder I find the more humble ICD-SX750 from Sony gives preferable results.

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:22 AM »
But Ozpeter,  interviews and busking are not the only thing the OP wanted a recorder for.  The OP wanted maximum flexibility.

With or without omni mics in the recorder, I personally would not do an interview in a place where the background noise overwhelmed the conversation.  Ditto recording a busker.

The ICD-SX750 holds 2GB. No external storage. And its lowest frequency response is 50Hz so it is not made for full-range music.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=ICDSX750#specifications

I know you are annoyed the PCM-M10 places omnis so close together, but...it has a lot of other good qualities. And you do have that plugin to fix the stereo separation deficiencies.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 01:16:57 AM »
if you are serious about interviews, you should consider a dynamic card mic to use with the recorder. Personally, the sennheiser md 46 is what i prefer. the m10 is good but if you're in a noisy area, any recorder with omni mics is likely to be a bad choice.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:49:01 AM »
I recorded a conversation once with the PCM-M10 internals out on a hillside in a park. You could hear the birds chirping.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
I tried the marantz pmd661 with Azden FMX-32, also with the m10 sony pcm. There are some differences in the qualities of sound as a whole, but the Azden provides phantom power for the PCM m10 gives sufficient length for long recording sessions. PMD 661 however has a sound color important.

Rodhiripod, what was your experience with the Azden FMX-32? Did you ever record music with it? I havn't heard it talked about much so I'm curious

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »
My vote is for the Tascam DR-100mkII

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline TAlderson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I've seen the azden on BH and wondered about it, so I'd have the same question as JBou about recording music, it seems like it could be a nice little mixer.

I've seen a lot of love for the M10 on this site but not for its cousin the D50. Is the consensus that what you get for the extra $200 (digital in/out, moveable mics, possibly better pre's) isn't worth it? It doesn't seem a whole lot bigger than the M10, but maybe the size makes it less useful for stealthing? I'm leaning towards the M10 but again want to make sure I go through all of my options.

-Tyler

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com