Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: free advice for newbie tapers  (Read 5451 times)

Offline musicfan68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
free advice for newbie tapers
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
well I'm a newbie taper & last night I recorded my first shows live at the 100 Club in London  ;D

listening back to them this morning there's some free advice I can offer other newbies- it might seem obvious to the more experience peeps out there but it wasnt for me

first of all Recording Levels- dont be lazy and use the auto settings - set them manually- it will give you better sounding results

mic settings - loud venue = low sensitivity

heavy bass- filters on (to reduce vibrations)

then where you are positioned in the venue is also important- being down the front of a packed crowd maybe great for atmosphere but you will have to compromise the quality of your recording

this next point is paramount - ALCOHOL INTAKE- I enjoyed the gig so much that I got absolutely p/ssed, stuck my recorder in my shirt pocket & jumped around like a lunatic for the 3 main bands- great night- not so great recordings  ::)   I was so drunk that I actually forgot to record one of the bands (but got 5 out of 6 so I'm not too disappointed)

FYI I was using Olympus DM5, internal stereo mics,

If I get time I will be uploading the recordings on Dime this weekend- I'm gonna see if I can do anything to improve the sound first.... but hey I'm learning. Any constructive advice or guidance will always be welcome from the experienced tapers out there

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: free advice for newbie tapers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
Hahaha!  Welcome to your new addiction!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »
well I'm a newbie taper & last night I recorded my first shows live at the 100 Club in London  ;D

stuck my recorder in my shirt pocket & jumped around like a lunatic for the 3 main bands- great night- not so great recordings  ::)   I was so drunk that I actually forgot to record one of the bands (but got 5 out of 6 so I'm not too disappointed)

If I get time I will be uploading the recordings on Dime this weekend-.... Any constructive advice or guidance will always be welcome from the experienced tapers out there

first, welcome to the section and check your wallet at the door

second, be realistic when you grade your recording - internal mics, deck in pocket, massive amounts of movement; please don't give this an "A" grade as in reality it is probably a "C" at best

you've already learned some lessons and as you learn a few more and get some more recording sessions under your belt you'll soon be able to accurately grade your recordings and even actually have some that deserve an"A" rating

please leave the "A++++" to the zoomies who apparently have no desire to learn how to make a true "A" recording
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:08:39 PM by flipp »

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »

My only advice would be to actually put some effort into getting it right next time.

Sticking a Zoom in your shirt pocket, hitting record and then getting drunk and dancing around doesn't make you a "taper" any more than me clicking the photo option on my blackberry a few times during a show makes me a "photographer".

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »

My only advice would be to actually put some effort into getting it right next time.

Sticking a Zoom in your shirt pocket, hitting record and then getting drunk and dancing around doesn't make you a "taper" any more than me clicking the photo option on my blackberry a few times during a show makes me a "photographer".

The good news, is that you are in the right place. Read the forums, learn why even a budget pair of external mics will kick the internals ass. One good techniques is to go into the Kickdown Central forum, listen to the recordings that are being made and read the notes.

Where in the venue were they recorded?
Which mics?
If an open recording show, how high was the stand.
What pattern were the mics placed in.

We are in a golden age, more bands allow open taping than ever before. The gear is cheaper than ever.  Most importantly there are many tapers who've learned over the years how to get golden pulls, and they share their information.

Church Audio CA-14, Audio Technica AT853, and Countryman B3 mics are all in the small, discrete, and affordable range. Mics, a battery box and your Olympus and you'll be on your way.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »

The good news, is that you are in the right place. Read the forums, learn why even a budget pair of external mics will kick the internals ass. One good techniques is to go into the Kickdown Central forum, listen to the recordings that are being made and read the notes.

Where in the venue were they recorded?
Which mics?
If an open recording show, how high was the stand.
What pattern were the mics placed in.

We are in a golden age, more bands allow open taping than ever before. The gear is cheaper than ever.  Most importantly there are many tapers who've learned over the years how to get golden pulls, and they share their information.

Church Audio CA-14, Audio Technica AT853, and Countryman B3 mics are all in the small, discrete, and affordable range. Mics, a battery box and your Olympus and you'll be on your way.

^^^agreed.  i will also add this... don't feel obligated to upload your recording if it is of very low quality.  others may disagree with me on this point, but i think it's a waste of everyone's time (including the "taper") to seed recordings that are clearly inferior.  "inferior" is relative i suppose...  but if you're gonna put a Zoom in your pocket, get drunk and dance around during the show, then i vote for just keeping the recording in your own personal archive. 

if you decide that you really want to upload your shows to a public tracker i strongly encourage you to get some decent equipment and take the task of taping more seriously.  yes, taping is fun.  but it also involves a lot of work and discipline to do it right.  if you don't want to go that route just have fun with the Zoom and keep the recordings for your own enjoyment. 

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
You're doing the right thing. I get drunk as hell and dance around all the time when I'm taping, and I make awesome recordings. The only difference is that my microphones are on a stand. Get one of those and you're golden.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

listening back to them this morning there's some free advice I can offer other newbies- it might seem obvious to the more experience peeps out there but it wasnt for me

first of all Recording Levels- dont be lazy and use the auto settings - set them manually- it will give you better sounding results

mic settings - loud venue = low sensitivity

then where you are positioned in the venue is also important- being down the front of a packed crowd maybe great for atmosphere but you will have to compromise the quality of your recording

this next point is paramount - ALCOHOL INTAKE- I enjoyed the gig so much that I got absolutely p/ssed, stuck my recorder in my shirt pocket & jumped around like a lunatic for the 3 main bands- great night- not so great recordings  ::)   I was so drunk that I actually forgot to record one of the bands (but got 5 out of 6 so I'm not too disappointed)

If I get time I will be uploading the recordings on Dime this weekend- I'm gonna see if I can do anything to improve the sound first.... but hey I'm learning. Any constructive advice or guidance will always be welcome from the experienced tapers out there

sounds about right. 
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »
Man, there are some serious Grumpy Gus responses here. Put in more effort next time? Don't grade yourself too highly? Don't bother uploading it? ::) He lists five pieces of advice, all of which are spot-on. More than I could say for myself after dropping $600 on a DAT to patch my first recording...I got a paused deck for set 1 and a mono recording of set 2.

The guy is acknowledging it's his first recording, realizes what he did wrong, and is going to the trouble of listing it for other first-time tapers...and half the posts are STILL talking down to him. (To be fair, there's some good advice in the other posts.) Guys, he taped a free club show in London, if this link is any indication. Open taping, not an option. Using a stand, not an option. The recording is "inferior"...to what? No recording at all? How often are there multiple tapers at any show, let alone one in London, let alone for a show like this? I could see if he were taping Springsteen or Radiohead or something like that, but telling him not to bother circulating something he's happy with...what's the point? And rolling your eyes because of DIME? Why? Like there aren't "inferior" recordings on other sites?

Dude, if you're happy with your recording, all things considered - and you seem way more in tune with the limitations of what you got - then circulate the shit out of it. As long as it's well-documented and folks know what they're in for, you're golden.

A night out catching a show beats just about any night of sitting at home bashing on a keyboard like yours truly...and you got a relivable memento of it too, warts and all. Nowhere to go from here but up.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
it might seem obvious to the more experience peeps out there but it wasnt for me
Don't do this. You can reduce these frequencies with software after.

it might seem obvious to the more experience peeps out there but it wasnt for me
 stuck my recorder in my shirt pocket & jumped around like a lunatic for the 3 main bands- great night- not so great recordings  ::)   I was so drunk that I actually forgot to record one of the bands (but got 5 out of 6 so I'm not too disappointed)
1) You can absolutely get drunk as fuck. However, It's pretty obvious that putting a recorder in your pocket will give you poor quality 99% of the time. The sound waves/pressure is effed by the time it hits your caps.
2) Get external mics as this will give your tapes a fair shot at having some consistency. You will be disappointed with your
tapes forever if you keep using the internals.
3) So many, too many folks, think that good sound just involves hearing the instruments semi-clearly. IMO, that is not even half of it.
You can have a clear tape but if there is no stereo separation of the music, you might as well just tape with one mic, mono. When I really dig a tape
it MUST have a stereo field.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:06:41 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »

This post needs to be at the header of the main page. People get pissy with Dan when he says these things, but he is spot on.
He is not a gear snob because he tells you to get better equipment, better equipment= EXTERNALS, not a all in one, will give you
best results. Honest advice sometimes gets dealt as being negative around here. Don't be a zoomie taper. Your above post is
spot on for zoomdom.
What I did love about your post musicfan68, is that you realize what you did was horrible and are actually looking to improve on everything.
That says you are willing to become a taper and not someone who just shows up with a recorder, stuffing it wherever humanly possible to get the absolute worst outcome and then wondering why it didn't work.

If taping is your hobby, act like it matters. One usually puts time into their hobby to get pleasure and get good at it.
Often times a hobby leads into a skill or a craft, which is what recording is. You can get drunk/high, have a blast and pull heat.

MOST IMPORTANT.... WELCOME TO TS! Read some threads, drop a little coin for a starter rig and have fun experimenting!

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
Man, there are some serious Grumpy Gus responses here. Put in more effort next time? Don't grade yourself too highly? Don't bother uploading it? ::) He lists five pieces of advice, all of which are spot-on. More than I could say for myself after dropping $600 on a DAT to patch my first recording...I got a paused deck for set 1 and a mono recording of set 2.

The guy is acknowledging it's his first recording, realizes what he did wrong, and is going to the trouble of listing it for other first-time tapers...and half the posts are STILL talking down to him. (To be fair, there's some good advice in the other posts.) Guys, he taped a free club show in London, if this link is any indication. Open taping, not an option. Using a stand, not an option. The recording is "inferior"...to what? No recording at all? How often are there multiple tapers at any show, let alone one in London, let alone for a show like this? I could see if he were taping Springsteen or Radiohead or something like that, but telling him not to bother circulating something he's happy with...what's the point? And rolling your eyes because of DIME? Why? Like there aren't "inferior" recordings on other sites?

Dude, if you're happy with your recording, all things considered - and you seem way more in tune with the limitations of what you got - then circulate the shit out of it. As long as it's well-documented and folks know what they're in for, you're golden.

A night out catching a show beats just about any night of sitting at home bashing on a keyboard like yours truly...and you got a relivable memento of it too, warts and all. Nowhere to go from here but up.

Good post!

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
Go and talk to some of Team UK...  Meet them in person and buy them beers to get them to teach your their technique...

And start talking to the local bands and venues...  Get them involved too...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »

Dave I agree with your post 100%.
However, he did specifically ask for tips, and guidance which is what he is getting when told to get externals.
I don't think anyone was grumpy about anything.

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
Go and talk to some of Team UK...  Meet them in person and buy them beers ....

This  ;D

... to get them to teach your their technique...

And this, too, I suppose.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com