Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fave cdr  (Read 12075 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: fave cdr
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 07:29:11 PM »
Some further notes: Since I no longer have a Plextor drive (which came with special software for bit-accurate DAE), I'm using "Exact Audio Copy" to extract the WAV files from the audio CDs. The program generally works well, except that it seems to be oriented entirely toward "ripping" commercially-available CDs. It continually compares the checksums of my tracks with entries in a remote database, and its responses depend on whether there's a match between my tracks and anything in that database; of course my tracks are never there, except for an occasional "false positive". I wish that I could turn that feature off, but I don't see any way to do so. It also results in the checksums of my tracks being added to that database, which only increases other peoples' rates of "false positives".

Apparently the only tech support for EAC was on a Yahoo user forum, but it is closed now because Yahoo has left that business, and I don't see any replacement for it.

--I used to be concerned about the "timing problems" that the program reports, but am less so now. After one extraction had slowed down noticeably and five or six such "problems" were reported in one track, I cleaned the disc, renamed the extract file, and ran that track again. This time the extraction happened at full speed, and only one "timing problem" was reported. I then did a binary file comparison with the previous extraction, and it was bit-identical throughout.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »
DSatz,

AccurateRip is only one component of EAC.  Over the years, I have used it to rip primarily classical CDs, also which often are not in the database.  I don't use that component.

The primary benefit of EAC is that it will read the same sector multiple times if necessary to recover information other programs might read incorrectly or simply report as an error.  That is often why EAC is slower than other ripping programs; it is attempting to be more thorough.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10

Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 06:20:12 AM »
Are you able to disconnect or disable the "AccurateRip" aspect of EAC? How, if so?

By now I've used EAC with a long succession of different CD-R, DVD-R and BD-R drives; it behaves rather differently depending on the type of drive you use it with. What I find excellent is the way it susses out the precise capabilities of each type, and takes strategic advantage of whatever capabilities you give it to work with. It's still most efficient, of course, with drives that are well designed for accurate "ripping" of CD audio in the first place.

--best regards

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
Are you able to disconnect or disable the "AccurateRip" aspect of EAC? How, if so?

By now I've used EAC with a long succession of different CD-R, DVD-R and BD-R drives; it behaves rather differently depending on the type of drive you use it with. What I find excellent is the way it susses out the precise capabilities of each type, and takes strategic advantage of whatever capabilities you give it to work with. It's still most efficient, of course, with drives that are well designed for accurate "ripping" of CD audio in the first place.

--best regards

I believe it's "EAC" menu > "Drive Options" > "Offset/Speed" > "Use AccurateRip with this drive"
Recordings on LMA: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Lucas+Lorenz%22
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pres: CA9200 | DPA d:vice Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »
Hey, yes, it's there of all places. Many thanks; I would never have found it, since there's no logical connection between this functionality and the drive that I'm using.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rub it and see
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 11:17:01 PM »
Thanks for the Rima link. 
ordered enough cdrs to keep me going till the end.  (of time, of me, of music as we know it. )
. Turns out end of time /cds was 2019 when I bought a new car sans CD player

Mics: Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Studio Projects SPC4, Beyerdynamic ck930 , Marcsounds binaurals
Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA
Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05, Tascam  Dr-2d

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »
Thanks for the Rima link. 
ordered enough cdrs to keep me going till the end.  (of time, of me, of music as we know it. )
. Turns out end of time /cds was 2019 when I bought a new car sans CD player

My new car that I bought last year also was the first without a CD player.  I must say I haven't played a CD once in the 4 previous cars that had them, though.

The only optical discs I am buying now are BD-R, which I use for backups since hard drives are unreliable for long-term storage.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q | AT 853
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Zoom F6 | Sony PCM-M10

Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com