Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 47442 times)

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2017, 05:12:38 PM »
Concerning the question why Sony discontinued the m10 despite its stellar reputation here, I happened to notice a press conference photo today.  The reporters were using their phones to record the conference.  So that could be why Sony discontinued   what we regard as a terrific recorder.

And it doesn't give me hope that we will see a replacement.

Again the Iphone is taking over everything.I'm glad that I still use my simple Tracfone.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »
Was just able to buy a new one for $249 online @ Professional Sound Services. Hope they still have them in stock and it is able to ship.

White & Red are still available.  Thanks perks.  :)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Marching the Hate Machines into the Sun
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
They don't actually have any in stock.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>nbox platinum>620

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
Just checking in on this thread after a long time.  Glad I got my fourth unit last year while they were still easily found. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorder: Sony M10, Edirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2017, 12:32:54 PM »
They don't actually have any in stock.

I ordered one yesterday and got a confirmation that my order was processed. My card was charged so I hope they have some.
Neumann KM184 > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
Was just able to buy a new one for $249 online @ Professional Sound Services. Hope they still have them in stock and it is able to ship.

White & Red are still available.  Thanks perks.  :)
yes, thank you for the info! I ordered a white yesterday.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
Pro Sound's site now states that the item is no longer available.

Conflicting responses from the site don't clarify whether the M10 was ever recently available there.  We will have to see whether anyone who received a confirmation actually gets a unit.  B&H confirmed my order,  charged my card and then sent a "sorry, item not available" message later.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, pueblo pending
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job!

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »
I just got a refund toady and I was the 1st person to post that they were listed as available on the website I was h0lding out hope that they had at least 1 since I got charged but its clear now it was an error on their website.
Mics: Schoeps MK5, Schoeps MK41, AT853u (C,SC,H,O)
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2 (for sale), Sound Devices MP-2 (for sale), DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
I'm not sure how scientific it is or if it makes a difference when I get to a show. But I tried to tune my m10 to be in unity with my V3 analog out. I ran a YouTube video of a few different frequencies giving a continuous tone. Then I manipulated the gain in the V3 and m10 until I could dial them in together. I've read that "4" is unity gain for most people's m10 but what I came up with is a shade under "3". That seems to be dead on with my V3. I guess running other gear in front of the m10 could have something to do with other people's experience but at least I'm fairly confident this pairing is nails on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:29:27 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:
Oade ACM Grace Lunatec V3 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)
bm2p+ Edirol UA-5 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)

Recorders:
Oade CM Edirol R-44
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Marching the Hate Machines into the Sun
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »

Conflicting responses from the site don't clarify whether the M10 was ever recently available there.  We will have to see whether anyone who received a confirmation actually gets a unit.  B&H confirmed my order,  charged my card and then sent a "sorry, item not available" message later.

Still trying to get my refund from these assholes, I've called four times.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>nbox platinum>620

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
I'm not sure how scientific it is or if it makes a difference when I get to a show. But I tried to tune my m10 to be in unity with my V3 analog out. I ran a YouTube video of a few different frequencies giving a continuous tone. Then I manipulated the gain in the V3 and m10 until I could dial them in together. I've read that "4" is unity gain for most people's m10 but what I came up with is a shade under "3". That seems to be dead on with my V3. I guess running other gear in front of the m10 could have something to do with other people's experience but at least I'm fairly confident this pairing is nails on.

I'm not familiar with the V3; does it have variable output gain?  That would make the level matching you're trying to do a bit tricky, unless you know exactly what the output level of the V3 is.  Maybe that's why your level is a bit lower, if your V3 is putting out a slightly hotter signal.  Here's some good info: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165688.msg2069471#msg2069471

Apologies if you know this already, but there's really no such thing as "unity gain" between these two pieces of equipment.  I just think of it as good gain staging. 
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165688.msg2069471#msg2069471
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline daspyknows

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

My last experience with them was bad.  Never again.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Really unfortunate to hear about the situation with Pro Sound and the not-really-there M10.  I've experienced this with other, smaller vendors before who have an item for sale on their website and the order goes through, only to be contacted later to say that the item never was in stock.  That was with small accessories though; not something like this.

So at this point, I think it's safe to say that any vendor claiming to have M10s for sale should be met with extreme skepticism.  We don't know when Sony actually stopped manufacturing them and how many unsold units (if any) are sitting in warehouses.  You'd think that electronic stocking systems would take care of alerting potential buyers of an item being out of stock though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:23:10 PM by voltronic »
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
Is the output of the M10 set to LINE?
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »

My last experience with them was bad.  Never again.

If this is true, I will have to dispute the charge with my CC company

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com