Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I cannot for the life of me get my nomad to connect to my computer  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Ccronks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
I cannot for the life of me get my nomad to connect to my computer
« on: September 19, 2004, 01:43:26 AM »
I've tried installing/reinstalling the software and drivers, I've tried downloading the latest versions of the programs, and nothing seems to be working.  It's a little frustrating, too, because it worked just fine before I reformatted.  Any ideas?  I've read the entire faq and can't seem to figure it out.  Thanks!

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: I cannot for the life of me get my nomad to connect to my computer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 02:18:05 AM »
firewire or usb?

Have you tried another port? My jb3 only works on 1 of 3 firewire ports on my pc.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Ccronks

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 02:55:19 AM »
It's USB, and yes, I have tried it in all possible connections.

And now my computer is running slow as shit.

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 03:32:38 AM »
Have you updated your mobo's usb drivers?

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 04:10:40 AM »
So you've done all of the following (from the archives):

[250] How do I connect my NJB3 to my computer for transferring recordings?

The documentation which comes with the NJB3 should address this question in more detail.  But basically, you need these components in place:

[1] NJB3 firmware for the NJB3 to function
      [2] PC drivers to enable firewire
      [3] PC drivers to provide connectivity between Windows and NJB3
      [4] File Manager software to provide a view/edit interface to the NJB3

The NJB3 should come with [1] already on it (though you may wish to upgrade - see below).  Windows should have taken care of [2] already.  So now you need [3] and [4].

[3] There's a separate set of NJB3 drivers which must be installed on the PC in order for Windows to recognize the NJB3 over the firewire port/cable.  These drivers should have come on a CD with your NJB3.  Nomadness also hosts the driver upgrades (http://www.nomadness.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=7).

[4] In addition to the drivers above which provide connectivity between Windows and the NJB3, you'll need another set of software to provide an interface that allows you as a user to view and edit the contents of the NJB3.  There are two options:  Creative's File Manager software (http://www.nomadness.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12) or Redchair Software's Notmad Explorer (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/trial.php).  FWIW, I use Notmad Explorer and think it's a far better piece of s/w, IMO.  Check out the trial, and if you like it - buy it.  It's only $20.

[260] I'm having connectivity and/or transfer problems.  Help!!

Go to Creative's Knowledgebase (http://us.creative.com//support/kb/), key "SID 8763" in the search field (without the quotes), and follow the instructions.  Hopefully that'll take care of it.  If not - give us a try in the TS.com Ask The Tapers forum or the NJB3Tapers Yahoo group.

Yes?

If so, also confirm you're installing the original drivers that came with the JB3 and not just the updates.  I vaguely recall someone in the past only installing the updates and having similar problems.  Installing the drivers from the CD that came with the JB3 fixed the problem.  But you've probably already done that.

FWIW, though it doesn't address your problem directly, I think the $20 or so is well worth it to get Red Chair Software's Notmad Explorer.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »
I second the Notmad Explorer suggestion.  Haven't had one prob since i switched, had TONS using the Creative software...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 11:55:02 AM »
i guess im gonna have to splurge on the notmad this time around with the jb3. though i never did have a problem with the creative software before, but ive got a new pc now

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 01:06:34 PM »
dustin - I'd swear you had to download the install from me last time around...does that sound familiar?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Nate

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I saw you dancing to Doreatha
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 02:00:29 PM »
I've had problems connecting when I am using the AC power.   But it will work fine if I am running on battery power....and then plug in the AC after it connects.

Goofy

Offline Ccronks

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 02:22:04 PM »

Hey thanks Brian.  I guess I should have clairified that the downloads on nomadness were not working (at least last night, I havent checked today), and SID 8763 came up with no search results on creative.com.  I'm gonna give it a shot again today since I have no homework :)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 02:15:56 AM »
I tried everything listed in the archive, spent $20 on Notmad, downloaded every updated driver, firmware, etc. and never got my JB3 to do a damn thing via USB. Then I spent $50 on a firewire card and everything ran perfect.

Must be computer dependant, but USB seems to be about a million times less reliable.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Ccronks

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 08:46:42 PM »
Whew, well I spent some time on the phone with the people at Creative this afternoon (and they actually sounded halfway intelligent), and what I needed to do was disable the realtime virus protection.  That halfway worked, so next I tried installing after booting up with nothing running (essentially safe mode, but not really).  It was baically a struggle all afternoon to find the right drivers that worked with the right program.  What happened was that I'd get the drivers working, but then the program would come up saying "Creative play center has encountered an error and needs to close" then the tell Microsoft about this problem stuff.  Then I would get the programs working and the drivers wouldn't.  Finally I messed around with some stuff and FINALLY got it to work, so I'm happy I can convert some of my tapes now :) 

Thanks for all your help everyone.  I don't know if you want to add the fact that real time virus protection should be disable before installing the software, but that's what looked to be the problem for me.

Oh, and I just got another battery on ebay, so I'm totally back in business :D

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »
fwiw the one time i had a problem was with the red chair notmad software. it created a dropout in the recording that was not on the master. i transferred it again and it worked fine. i've never had this problem with the original creative software.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 05:35:04 PM »
also just discovered the notmad red chair software is jb3 specific. you cannot use it with multiple jb3s unless you buy it multiple times
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 08:53:58 PM »
also just discovered the notmad red chair software is jb3 specific. you cannot use it with multiple jb3s unless you buy it multiple times

I ran into this situation when I recorded RockyGrass with two different JB3s and tried to transfer.  Upgrading to Notmad Explorer Universal Edition ($10, maybe?) solved the problem - UE works with any number of Creative devices regardless of model designation.  Well worth it, IMO, if you have the need or if you're just now buying and think you might get another Creative device in the future for recording or playback.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com