Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so what does the 722 sound like?  (Read 50237 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: so what does the 722 sound like?
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2005, 12:28:38 PM »
i don't have a big problem with the metering.  is it ad2k meters?  no.  nothing is

but it does have an led for -8,-4,-3 and 0.  and you can set the 0 one to also flash at whatever you want. 

and  at 24 bit, slamming levels isn't as important.  if you peak at around 4, just normalize later. 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2005, 12:33:01 PM »
I didn't have an issue with the metering either - but then I am used to running the V3 with all 6 of it's level indicators.

I do wish that there was a peak hold and reset.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
I'm a minimalist when it comes to metering, I prefer the minime over the V3.... I want a light at -30 to let me know I have signal, another one at -12, one at -4, and over....

I think part of it is wearing glasses and my mediocre eyesight, the lights can get blurred and run together a bit...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
I'm a minimalist when it comes to metering, I prefer the minime over the V3.... I want a light at -30 to let me know I have signal, another one at -12, one at -4, and over....

I think part of it is wearing glasses and my mediocre eyesight, the lights can get blurred and run together a bit...

yeah, I prefer the MiniMe>dat metering to the V3, though, I do wish the MiniMe had 1 more level signal, maybe at -8, but thats what the dat is for...
the V3 has no lables, so casual glancing at them tells me nothing other than there is a signal flowing.

maybe it is a weak eyesight thing...(legally blind in right eye and both eyes continually 'leak' causing blurriness)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2005, 01:03:24 PM »
yeah, I prefer the MiniMe>dat metering to the V3, though, I do wish the MiniMe had 1 more level signal, maybe at -8, but thats what the dat is for...
the V3 has no lables, so casual glancing at them tells me nothing other than there is a signal flowing.

maybe it is a weak eyesight thing...(legally blind in right eye and both eyes continually 'leak' causing blurriness)

My V3 has labels at every LED... 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2005, 01:19:42 PM »
Wow, hard to imagine folks prefering the MMe metering over the V3, but I've got good eyesight so more information works fine for me.  And yes, there is a db label for every LED on the V3.

I guess I can see how you would set your overall levels with the -30,-12,-4,over metering of the MMe, but it seems like it would be hard to match your levels (left versus right) with basically only the -4 LED to go by.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2005, 01:41:03 PM »

something tells me its not just the glasses that cause the blurred vision, but I digress.  I was plenty comfortable with the meters after about 30 minutes of working with it.  I had the levels kissing the -3 LED with rare flash on the 0 LED.  I had a few overs when I opened it up in Wavelab, but way less than I ever had running 16 bit.

On another note, the calibration of the v3 and the 722 line level input is different.  I let some 16 bit patchers take the v3's digital out, but their levels were low compared to mine when I had the 722 set to line in.  I could have run the pad on the 722 to get them better levels, but I figured they could normalize if they wanted.  I was more concerned about the 722 getting the cleanest signal it could.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2005, 01:47:42 PM »
And yes, there is a db label for every LED on the V3.

there is labels?
my eyesight must be worse than I thought...I never noticed the labels  ???

the water's clean and innocent

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »
And yes, there is a db label for every LED on the V3.

there is labels?
my eyesight must be worse than I thought...I never noticed the labels  ???

;)

MUCH better than the MiniMe IMO. ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
wow, IMO that is one of the v3's major plusses :)

i ran a dmic for ever, its basically the same metering the mme has and i HATED that about it :P

v3 levels rule your face!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2005, 02:42:32 PM »
The only thing I that really bothers me about the 722 meters is that they don't dim low enough.  Even at the lowest setting, they are too bright for "low profile" work.  I know there is a stealth mode, but I'd still like to see the meters.

FWIW, I really had no problem using the 722 metering.  It would be nice to shift the resolution toward the high end, but I found them easy enough to use after using the V3 - which has only six usable lights since the 0db is to be avoided and the -27 is always on in a crowd. 

I have to wonder what market was the target for the 722 meter scale.  Anyone here do folley or location work?  Is most of the sound in the lower range of the metering? 

Offline Tim

« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2005, 03:22:57 PM »
boswell - suck it :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2005, 03:38:16 PM »
What I'd really like out of stealth mode is to have the -3 dB lights on the left still light up, but nothing else, unless stealth mode is deactivated.

A longer lockout for the stop button is a must, IMO. I'd like to see something in the 3/4 second range.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2005, 03:43:01 PM »
What I'd really like out of stealth mode is to have the -3 dB lights on the left still light up, but nothing else, unless stealth mode is deactivated.

A longer lockout for the stop button is a must, IMO. I'd like to see something in the 3/4 second range.

Excellent points.

Send SD a note asking for these things.  Indicate why the current design is a problem.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »
The only thing I that really bothers me about the 722 meters is that they don't dim low enough.  Even at the lowest setting, they are too bright for "low profile" work.  I know there is a stealth mode, but I'd still like to see the meters.

FWIW, I really had no problem using the 722 metering.  It would be nice to shift the resolution toward the high end, but I found them easy enough to use after using the V3 - which has only six usable lights since the 0db is to be avoided and the -27 is always on in a crowd. 

I have to wonder what market was the target for the 722 meter scale.  Anyone here do folley or location work?  Is most of the sound in the lower range of the metering? 

you can set the level meters to only show peak, not anything below it(v3 style).  i might see how i like that

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com