Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART III**  (Read 85913 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART III**
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
I pulled an XY recording of a mono PA and it sounds like ORTF ! talk about soundstage.

??? :-X

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2005, 05:55:25 PM »
I just doesn't sound like you'd expect an XY recording of a PA to sound...or, at least it didn't to me.  And this is a venue I tape in frequently, and know what to expect for results.   it caught me by surprise, and I attribute it to the preamp section of this Marantz.

Offline chitaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2005, 03:32:54 PM »
OK, I have ordered a MicroTracker, a 4gb CF card, and a 80gb OTG drive but have a question:

If recording at a long, 2 set show or a festival, is there enough time between sets or shows to transfer the data to an OTG drive and erase the CF card for the next set or show? Otherwise, it seems that 2 CF cards will be needed. I'd like to get by w/ one for now if possible, as they are still $200 a pop.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2005, 04:04:46 PM »
if you need long record time, you'll just have to settle for 16bit resolution.
6.5 hours on a 4gb card.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »
or at 24/48, you still have 4 hours on a 4 gig CF card.  should be enough for just about every 2 set show...

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2005, 05:57:31 PM »
or at 24/48, you still have 4 hours on a 4 gig CF card.  should be enough for just about every 2 set show...
OK, but I'm going to Vegoose. How long to dump 4gb to the OTG drive? Anyone have any idea?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2005, 06:02:45 PM »
well, this has nothing to do w/ that, BUT when going jb3>jb3 via the 4-pin>4-pin cable i have, it still takes about 30 mins to do a 2/2.5hr set!

i suspect w/ a usb 2.0 card reader>usb 2.0 OTG drive, it may be faster tho, who knows tho, noone yet
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2005, 06:40:13 PM »
Even at the oldest standard, USB 1.0 can transfer data at a rate of 1.5 MBit/sec (which is 187.5 MB/sec). So, at this rate the transfer of 4 GB of data should take approximately 21.3 seconds. And USB 2.0 can even do up to 480 MBit/sec (though this will never happen as most CF cards can't be read faster than at 10 MBit/sec).
Since the MicroTrack has a USB 2.0 port, we can pretty much expect reasonable transfer times. These numbers are all highly theoretical and nobody knows how fast the MicroTrack will really be able to read CF cards - so don't take my word for it ;)

I'm also planing on buying an OTG hard drive for festivals, etc. I'm just not sure how to power it in the field - or how to charge the Microtrack in the field. Any ideas on that? Or are there any battery packs with USB connectors available already?

Another thing to look out for when buying CF cards is the lifetime of their flash memory. After a certain number of erase-write cycles, every flash memory will become unreliable.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 06:50:05 PM by Sebastian »

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
if you need long record time, you'll just have to settle for 16bit resolution.
6.5 hours on a 4gb card.

Or go with a microdrive 6gb drive. 3hrs at 24/96. I just recieved one from an eBay auction for 100$. It's an Apple branded Hitachi 6gb drive sealed from OEM.
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2005, 07:21:20 PM »
Even at the oldest standard, USB 1.0 can transfer data at a rate of 1.5 MBit/sec (which is 187.5 MB/sec). So, at this rate the transfer of 4 GB of data should take approximately 21.3 seconds. And USB 2.0 can even do up to 480 MBit/sec (though this will never happen as most CF cards can't be read faster than at 10 MBit/sec).
Since the MicroTrack has a USB 2.0 port, we can pretty much expect reasonable transfer times. These numbers are all highly theoretical and nobody knows how fast the MicroTrack will really be able to read CF cards - so don't take my word for it ;)

I'm also planing on buying an OTG hard drive for festivals, etc. I'm just not sure how to power it in the field - or how to charge the Microtrack in the field. Any ideas on that? Or are there any battery packs with USB connectors available already?

Another thing to look out for when buying CF cards is the lifetime of their flash memory. After a certain number of erase-write cycles, every flash memory will become unreliable.
Well that sounds pretty good, even if it took 5 minutes it would be plenty of time.

The OTG drive I bought is this one. It has a rechargeable internal battery that should last several hours of use, way more than enough if all you're doing is dumping data to it. You can install any 2.5" 9.5mm hard disk you'd like into it, between the enclosure and the disk it's less than $200.

I'd be using the V3 for a pre, and it's claimed that the battery in the MicroTracker lasts 8 hours, so I'm not too worried about that. A 12v battery and power inverter should do to recharge if you have to in the field?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2005, 07:23:17 PM »

HA!  All of those speeds are theoretical and USB 1.0 never even approaches 1.5 MBit/sec.  I have to transfer all of my shows over USB 1.0 currently and it takes around 30 mins for a 1.5 hour show at 16/44.1.  

As for the speeds of USB2, it can only reach 480 MBit/sec in bursts - its sustained speeds are in fact much lower, which is why Firewire tends to be faster.  
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2005, 08:24:59 PM »

HA!  All of those speeds are theoretical and USB 1.0 never even approaches 1.5 MBit/sec.  I have to transfer all of my shows over USB 1.0 currently and it takes around 30 mins for a 1.5 hour show at 16/44.1.  

As for the speeds of USB2, it can only reach 480 MBit/sec in bursts - its sustained speeds are in fact much lower, which is why Firewire tends to be faster.  

Yup.  USB is poor for sustained transfer.  They sacrificed high sustained transfer rates for making the technology cheaper.  People always point out that Firewire is slower than USB2, but Firewire supports higher sustained transfer rates as you said.  For someone whos day job involves moving around gigs of data all day that's important.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2005, 08:58:37 PM »
I have never seen one of these OTG drive enclosures before, Way Cool Beans!

how do we know it will work with the microtracker?
and is M-audio recomending any specific brand CF cards or are you guys just crossing your fingers?

thanks for being my guine pigs!!
the show is over go home please.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2005, 09:16:59 PM »
if it doesnt work w/ the microtracker, a usb 2.0 card reader would do the trick :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2005, 01:18:30 AM »
NAD T524 sounds good.
Shitty handling of groups on DVD-A though. (it is no direct CD player replacement)

Interesting, because that's the one I was going to get. I didn't think it was out yet. Do you have one?
Yup. Cheap in Germany. 350?
I was looking at using it mainly as a DVD-A player (for archived shows). `->` goes to next track or 1st track in next group. `<-` doesn't do groups, just tracks... So without a screen you cannot easily navigate groups. The current group is not on the players'display, nor audio resolution. Asked NAD, it's a restriction of the controller used in the player.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com