Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**  (Read 83742 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2005, 06:05:23 PM »
thanks for the update frank!  lookin forward to gettin mine...any word on the firmware release?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #301 on: September 23, 2005, 06:51:25 PM »
thanks Frank  8)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2005, 07:05:26 PM »
Update from Portland.... 

We did get 10 last week (though we were supposed to get many more in the 1st run)....  I just got confirmation that we are going to get the remainder of our order next week from M/Audio. 

thanks,
Frank

Cascade Media

Hooo-hooo !!!  That means me !!   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D
Thanks, Frank. :)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline jbraveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2005, 03:29:40 PM »
Picked one up from Guitar Center in Natck, MA.  They had a bunch on the shelf.  $389.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »
Picked one up from Guitar Center in Natck, MA.  They had a bunch on the shelf.  $389.

Reeeeally... :hmmm: Used to work down that way. Tempting, tempting...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2005, 04:48:19 PM »

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you run yr sx-m2 right into the MT and give up the sbm-1 and your m1. Talk about stealthy!
dB-

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2005, 07:41:24 PM »

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you run yr sx-m2 right into the MT and give up the sbm-1 and your m1. Talk about stealthy!
dB-

I also picked up a pair of xlr > 1/4 inch hosa cords to try out 4022 > MT for kicks.  I'm guessing sx-m2 > MT will be the way to go.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2005, 07:12:41 AM »
Does the MT say what gain level (dB's, steps, etc) is in use?
(it appears that gain over 12dB is digital so I want to know...)
Also: can one easily select the same amount of gain? (i.e.: does the MT remember this setting)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:31 AM »
I did a bunch of MT vs. 722 comps last night.  Unfortunately, I have a cold and my ears are congested..

What I did was mount my HD280 headphones on my mic baffle with the 4061's sandwiched inside.

Then I played some purely acoustic bluegrass out my computer through the UA5 to the headphones.

I recorded with the 722 at 0 db gain and at 54 db gain.  That should give us a baseline from which the gain of the MT can be determined.

With the MT, I did a bunch of recordings.  Line in mode at min gain, line in at max gain, medium mode at min and max gain, 5 volt supply to 4061 vs. 9 volt bbox supply to 4061, 1/4 trs input vs. 1/8, etc.

All recordings were done at 24/44.1.  I'll probably dither everything to 16 and seed it on easytree.

The good news.. I discovered that line in does apparently work on my mt.  Somewhow I missed that the unit had to be turned off in order for the switch to have any impact.  Also, line in is not supported on the 1/8 input (as chris at soundpro suggested), somewhat contrary to the manual. It was unfortunate that m-audio support missed this detail when I spoke with them.

A big question for me is whether I can do away with my bbox and run the dpa on 5v.  If so, I will build a custom low-pro 1/4" input that sucks 5v from the 1/8" input.  Another option would be to use a voltage divider to knock the 30v phantom down (but that would draw more from the battery).

I haven't fully evaluated the results.  But in two bbox tests, I found that the peaks using the bbox vs. the 5volt with the dpa were very close. 12 db in one case and 13 db in the other.  These weren't massively loud tests (by any means) so it remains to be heard whether loud signal handling is compromised.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2005, 11:52:03 AM »
The good news.. I discovered that line in does apparently work on my mt.  Somewhow I missed that the unit had to be turned off in order for the switch to have any impact.  Also, line in is not supported on the 1/8 input (as chris at soundpro suggested), somewhat contrary to the manual. It was unfortunate that m-audio support missed this detail when I spoke with them.

What makes you think the line-in via the 1/8" input does not work? According to the manual...

"L/M/H Switch: Sets the operating mode of the 1⁄4” TRS and 1/8” inputs. Use the ‘L’ position for line-level devices. The ‘M’ position
should be used when recording from microphones. The ‘H’ position uses a higher gain stage on the 1⁄4” TRS inputs, which can
help when recording quiet signals or using microphones with low output levels. The ‘H’ position does not boost the input gain of
the 1/8” input."
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2005, 12:36:36 PM »
so has anyone tried? 

how to go DPA -> microtracker?  w/ Bass box?  line in?  or would I need a special connector of some sort?
how about going spdif in w/ a SBM1?

thanks!

« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2005, 12:56:25 PM »
DPAs into a microtracker?  Are you insane?  That would never work!

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2005, 01:01:12 PM »
DPAs into a microtracker?  Are you insane?  That would never work!

yeah, crazy i know...

i'm looking for info in terms of connectors.  all the 1/4" , 1/8" stuff confuses the hell out of me

« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »
See the real life experiences thread.  There's been quite a bit posted on this.

Bottom line, I think you're going to need to run the dpa's into the 1/4 inputs because the 1/8 inputs don't seem to support line in.  There's a small chance you could omit the bbox and get power from the 1/8 connector.  On my MT, it supplies power even when the 1/4 is selected as the record input.  Also, the power on my mt 1/8" input is only 4.5v.

The beck show was 4061>sp bbox>20db atten>1/8 mic input

Offline rdvdijk

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2005, 01:39:46 PM »

Bottom line, I think you're going to need to run the dpa's into the 1/4 inputs because the 1/8 inputs don't seem to support line in.  There's a small chance you could omit the bbox and get power from the 1/8 connector.

If the DPAs work using just the 30v phantom of the MT, then this setup would indeed work, right? Maybe that's something you could test? (provided you can plug your DPAs in, or have the correct cables to do so..) It would be a real stealthy setup!

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com