Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MD transfer options  (Read 5591 times)

Offline machinelf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
MD transfer options
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:08:06 AM »
Hi,

I can burn my MD masters to CD via an optical cable at home, and then bring them to work and use EAC to extract the audio for editing and seeding.

However, I'd prefer not have EAC in the chain, if I can avoid it. But I've seen comments elsewhere that seem to suggest that EAC is "bit perfect" enough not to make a difference, but what do you guys think? Should I go the EAC route or find some kind soul to help me with the transfer?

Many thanks,
Alan

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Re: MD transfer options
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:33:35 AM »
There is a company in Europe that developed software to extract MDs from the old Sony 5.25 MD computer drives (they sell drives & firmware/softeware packages). Other than that (which, last I heard, will cost a few thousand dollars), you can: 1. get a home unit with a digital output or 2. get the hhb portable with the digi out built in. The only other option really is an analog (line/headphone output) transfer. If you have a bunch of masters, get the standalone. If its just a couple, find someone here who is already equiped and willing. Hope this helps...LS
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 11:37:50 AM by larrysellers »

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:53:47 AM »
Hi,

I can burn my MD masters to CD via an optical cable at home, and then bring them to work and use EAC to extract the audio for editing and seeding.

However, I'd prefer not have EAC in the chain, if I can avoid it. But I've seen comments elsewhere that seem to suggest that EAC is "bit perfect" enough not to make a difference, but what do you guys think? Should I go the EAC route or find some kind soul to help me with the transfer?

Many thanks,
Alan

if you properly set the offsets for EAC it really isnt a problem.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 12:28:43 PM »

if you properly set the offsets for EAC it really isnt a problem.

Agreed. With a valid configuration, EAC can produce an accepteble backup.

Offline machinelf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:33:04 PM »
There is a company in Europe that developed software to extract MDs from the old Sony 5.25 MD computer drives (they sell drives & firmware/softeware packages). Other than that (which, last I heard, will cost a few thousand dollars), you can: 1. get a home unit with a digital output or 2. get the hhb portable with the digi out built in. The only other option really is an analog (line/headphone output) transfer. If you have a bunch of masters, get the standalone. If its just a couple, find someone here who is already equiped and willing. Hope this helps...LS

Thanks. I actually have a home MD deck with a digital out, which I connect to a standalone CD burner with digital inputs. The problem is that I don't have a computer at home. And this computer here at work doesn't have a fancy soundcard with optical inputs. So EAC or enlisting help are my only options at this point.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »

Thanks. I actually have a home MD deck with a digital out, which I connect to a standalone CD burner with digital inputs. The problem is that I don't have a computer at home. And this computer here at work doesn't have a fancy soundcard with optical inputs. So EAC or enlisting help are my only options at this point.

so then your options are as follows:

a) get EAC set up properly

b) get a computer with a soundcard with a bit perfect optical in

c) switch to a microtracker/jb3 and get recordings without compression and be able to transfer sin sound card :)
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline machinelf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:09:54 PM »
c) switch to a microtracker/jb3 and get recordings without compression and be able to transfer sin sound card :)

Heh. I was waiting for this response.  :P

I guess I'm leaning towards EAC, then. I suppose I can always reseed someday when I can afford more gear.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 01:28:05 PM »

Believe it or not, I'm using a cheap Creative Soundblaster MP3+ external USB device.  It has optical and analog I/O.  Don't use analog, but optical *appears* to be bit accurate for me.  And it is cheap!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline machinelf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:31:13 PM »
Believe it or not, I'm using a cheap Creative Soundblaster MP3+ external USB device.  It has optical and analog I/O.  Don't use analog, but optical *appears* to be bit accurate for me.  And it is cheap!

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Cheap is Good. :)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 04:46:51 PM »

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Cheap is Good. :)

By the way, be careful not to buy other models, like so-called 24bit versions.  They are more money and may not be bit accurate.  Oh yeah, the option the CoreSound recommends is the Maudio Transit.  This is around $80USD and is supposed to be bit accurate.  It also has decent analog I/O.  The Transit is probably better for Windows, but it won't work with Linux.  Oh yeah, if anyone tries the Transit I'd like to know the ADC quality, and how good the mic pre is on it.  It might be interesting for Laptop taping in a pinch.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »
i have a sony rcdw500-c cd burner(stand alone)i can probably help you out with some transfers in you need it.i also just purchased a new sony hi-md mdr/with a digital eq to clean up sound before running it into the cdr
nameloc01aol.com
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 06:51:35 PM by nameloc01 »

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »
I can do digital transfer for you.  Drop me a PM if you still need help.

-Kevin

Offline machinelf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 11:02:55 AM »
i have a sony rcdw500-c cd burner(stand alone)i can probably help you out with some transfers in you need it.i also just purchased a new sony hi-md mdr/with a digital eq to clean up sound before running it into the cdr
nameloc01aol.com

Thanks, but I have a standalone CD burner also. That was how I was going to get the audio discs for EAC purposes.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »
The dude can transfer.  He just wants to know the best way to extract the audio CD so he can upload it.  EAC is just fine unless someone has a better sugestion for extraction software.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline MDnewuser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 06:51:44 PM »

Would be nice to know the companys name, and if they have a homepage, anybody who knows ?. Sounded like a cheap solution rather than to buy a deck, before the age of Hi-MD you have some old MDs lying around that i would like to transfer as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com