Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: US soundboards  (Read 2608 times)

Offline fey-metallica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
US soundboards
« on: September 01, 2007, 06:52:42 AM »
Hello there.
In November I will be going to see some bands in California and I want to tape them, permission from the bands is no problem so I want to tape soundboard too. Here in The Netherlands I need my minidisc and a cable with a jackplug or xlr to plug into the soundboard. Do you have any experience with the american soundboards? I can get the idea it's totally different as the Volts in the US are 115 and here 230..What new equipment do I need?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: US soundboards
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »
you already have everything you need to plug into the soundboard.
if you plan on using electrical power, you may need an adapter to convert to the american standard.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline fey-metallica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:32:44 PM »
Thanks!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
audio signals should be esentailly the same, regardles sof 120 vs. 240 V equipment.

now actually getting a sbd patch, that is a challenge these days!

Thanks!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »
audio signals should be esentailly the same, regardles sof 120 vs. 240 V equipment.

hehe, and now with everyone dumping their analog desks for digital desks, you almost have to keep an AES and a SPDIF cable in your bag of tricks, just in case!
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:47:15 PM »

hehe, and now with everyone dumping their analog desks for digital desks, you almost have to keep an AES and a SPDIF cable in your bag of tricks, just in case!

Digital Desks still have Analog outs (XLR). I would much rather use the A>D converter in my 744 than the A>D in the digital Desk (yes, I have done comparisons)

Although, when Kimock was doing a workshop on Jam Cruise, I did take a 24/96 AES feed. It did sound nice, but I had no control over the levels which were way too low.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
Digital Desks still have Analog outs (XLR). I would much rather use the A>D converter in my 744 than the A>D in the digital Desk (yes, I have done comparisons)
Although, when Kimock was doing a workshop on Jam Cruise, I did take a 24/96 AES feed. It did sound nice, but I had no control over the levels which were way too low.

Find me an analog out of the mains on my Yamaha M7CL that aren't being used for the mains! Yes, you can assign a matrix to an analog output, but aside from the L&R out, the ONLY output on the console that would work as a record feed without setting up a matrix mix is the AES out. As for you not having control over the levels when you recorded Kimock off the digital console, I know on my desk I can turn the AES feed up or down...not sure what board you were using, but I'm sure there was a way for the engineer to contol the level. I can't speak for which sounds better, the coverters in the SD 7xx's or the converters in the digital console, but I speak from experience when I say that the digi out of the Yamaha board is pretty nice sounding! YMMV.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

Find me an analog out of the mains on my Yamaha M7CL that aren't being used for the mains! Yes, you can assign a matrix to an analog output, but aside from the L&R out, the ONLY output on the console that would work as a record feed without setting up a matrix mix is the AES out. As for you not having control over the levels when you recorded Kimock off the digital console, I know on my desk I can turn the AES feed up or down...not sure what board you were using, but I'm sure there was a way for the engineer to contol the level. I can't speak for which sounds better, the coverters in the SD 7xx's or the converters in the digital console, but I speak from experience when I say that the digi out of the Yamaha board is pretty nice sounding! YMMV.

I honestly don't recall which consoles they had on jam cruise, but I'm pretty sure that they were Yamahas. As for my feed, I always use Matrix outs for my recording feeds. I'm not saying there wasn't a control for the AES out, I'm saying that the engineer didn't know how to adjust it. As for me, I've never mixed on a Digital console. I gave up mixing live sound a few years ago. I wasn't enjoying it anymore and I wanted to get back to taping. Yes, the Yamaha A>D sounds good, but I like the SD A>D better. When I get a chance, I'll dig up the multitracks and will post some clips for you to hear. I'm curious to get other folks feedback/opinions as to which they like better.

time to board the plane....

cm
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com