Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR  (Read 92926 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »
thanks for the quick reply and the offer to send/post a picture. Where can get the microdot connectors? directly from DPA?  I recall that I read somwhere that you should by those and send them to Chris.  cheers,

SF

I don't know if you you've already received the info you need. Anyway, there you go:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91415.msg1216628.html#msg1216628

About the microdots issue, yes, you are right: get them and send them to Chris.

Take care  :)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
got mine today! :)
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
I'll be rocking your setup soon mako.

CA-11 > 9100 > r-09HR

also I'll have the CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omni's, and the CA-UBB batt box.  :)

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »
It's a nice little setup.

Actually, I'll be taking out the CA14's Friday night for Collective Soul. 
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
sweet.

just updated from 1.04 to 1.06

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »
thanks for the quick reply and the offer to send/post a picture. Where can get the microdot connectors? directly from DPA?  I recall that I read somwhere that you should by those and send them to Chris.  cheers,

SF

I don't know if you you've already received the info you need. Anyway, there you go:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91415.msg1216628.html#msg1216628

About the microdots issue, yes, you are right: get them and send them to Chris.

Take care  :)

Thanks for the answer.  In the meantime I have received my used pair of 4061 low sens mics.  Unfortunately I can't find a place order for the DPA microdot female conectors I need to buy.  Help to find a picture of the ugly and a place to by the connectors will be appreciated.  I am from Germany so a European store to order these parts would be nice.
I don want to bother Chris before I have my stuff together.

All the best,

SF

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
Oops my apologies, I forgot to take those photos for you last weekend.  Here you go:

Below is an older picture of one of my CA-UGLYs when it was about 6 months old-

All CA-UGLYs are this size and general form, but Chris has built them a bit differently at times.  Some have both jacks on one side, I think new ones include a power switch so you can leave the mics plugged in without running down the battery.  They all have a power 'on' LED and small pots for gain adjustment.

Click here or on the photo above to link to a Flickr collection of photos showing the CA-UGLYs I took today, after a further year of abuse plastered with gaff tape to make them even uglier.  Those photos show the units as I often use them, with the same short right angle patch cable shown at the top of the image above which stays well-taped to the preamp output.  I run the other end of that cable through the case of the R-09 as shown so the the cable is well strain-relived at both ends to protect the jacks.  I much prefer cables with the smallest molded-on right angle jacks I can find.  The Neutrik RA stereo mini-jack connectors I have on the mic cable input side are well made and solderable, but the long body creates too much leverage potential on the jack, so when I plug in the mics (which turns on the preamp) I tape that connector up with some rolled up paper to rigidly connect the cantilevered jack body it to the preamp.  That does the job while adding additional desirable ugliness.  I'll then adjust and balance levels using the meters on the recorder and stick the tape down which covers the pots.  Tape is not necessary to keep the pots from moving it's just were the tape securing the input jack falls.  A short 2x microdot > Neutrik RA stereo mini-jack cable converts the standard microdot terminated DPA 4060s to the stereo mini jack input on the UGLY.

Female microdot jacks take two forms: a panel mount, and a barrel connector which transsexualizes a male dot.  You can get them from DPA in Denver.  I made one adapter cable myself which uses barrel connectors which came with 4060 extension cables I bought from DPA.  I bought a second adapter cable (the one pictured) from Core Sound since I knew Len had dots and barrels and I needed a second cable in a hurry.

Hope that helps.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
Oops my apologies, I forgot to take those photos for you last weekend.  Here you go:

Below is an older picture of one of my CA-UGLYs when it was about 6 months old-

All CA-UGLYs are this size and general form, but Chris has built them a bit differently at times.  Some have both jacks on one side, I think new ones include a power switch so you can leave the mics plugged in without running down the battery.  They all have a power 'on' LED and small pots for gain adjustment.

Click here or on the photo above to link to a Flickr collection of photos showing the CA-UGLYs I took today, after a further year of abuse plastered with gaff tape to make them even uglier.  Those photos show the units as I often use them, with the same short right angle patch cable shown at the top of the image above which stays well-taped to the preamp output.  I run the other end of that cable through the case of the R-09 as shown so the the cable is well strain-relived at both ends to protect the jacks.  I much prefer cables with the smallest molded-on right angle jacks I can find.  The Neutrik RA stereo mini-jack connectors I have on the mic cable input side are well made and solderable, but the long body creates too much leverage potential on the jack, so when I plug in the mics (which turns on the preamp) I tape that connector up with some rolled up paper to rigidly connect the cantilevered jack body it to the preamp.  That does the job while adding additional desirable ugliness.  I'll then adjust and balance levels using the meters on the recorder and stick the tape down which covers the pots.  Tape is not necessary to keep the pots from moving it's just were the tape securing the input jack falls.  A short 2x microdot > Neutrik RA stereo mini-jack cable converts the standard microdot terminated DPA 4060s to the stereo mini jack input on the UGLY.

Female microdot jacks take two forms: a panel mount, and a barrel connector which transsexualizes a male dot.  You can get them from DPA in Denver.  I made one adapter cable myself which uses barrel connectors which came with 4060 extension cables I bought from DPA.  I bought a second adapter cable (the one pictured) from Core Sound since I knew Len had dots and barrels and I needed a second cable in a hurry.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Gutbucket for the great picture show.

I contacted DPA in Germany and they will send out the female adapters tomorrow.  Maybe I will contact them again and ask for some microdot plugs with cables.     The UBB is indeed very unique.  I am not sure if this the right tool for me. 
How do you adjust the levels during a show?
Or do adjust the levels before the show and finetune during the show with the Edirol R09-HR? 

My eyesight is not very good so in the venue I like it as easy as possible..  Also having the connectors at the side of the UBB is not very helpful with the microdot connectors.  With the the battery being taped and wrapped up this a not as handy as my SP....11 from SP which I normally tape against the back of the Edirol to get a solid package by taping all the connectors ect.  It sits in the lap during a seated show underneath a shirt.  Or in the pocket of a jacket.  Unfortunately it runs with 12 Volts.  I think it makes sense to get a preamp ...but which one?

I have no feeling for how much bigger the CA 9100 is.  Can someone compare DPA 6030/00... and the CA 9100 against the ugly pre amp or the SP 11 BB

IMO they are almost as big as the edirol.

Cheers SF

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
I am not sure if this the right tool for me. 
Or do adjust the levels before the show and finetune during the show with the Edirol R09-HR? 

My eyesight is not very good so in the venue I like it as easy as possible..  Also having the connectors at the side of the UBB is not very helpful with the microdot connectors.  With the the battery being taped and wrapped up this a not as handy as my SP...

Easy and accurate level adjustment is the primary drawback of the CA-UGLY.  I dial in the approximate setting at home with a small screw driver or pen-knife, leaving enough head room to adjust levels on the Edirol during the recording if necessary.  It's not at all convenient to have to adjust gain on the UGLY while recording.  The gaff tape I have on mine is just to secure the input and output cables, not to secure the battery.  It just snaps in and is quite secure.   Although the battery is exposed and looks like it would fall out, it doesn't.  As for the position of the connectors, Chris can probably put those where ever you want them since each is built to order.

All that being said, the primary strong point of the UGLY is super-small size.  It doesn't trade sound quality for that but it does trade features and ease of adjustment.  A slightly larger preamp which is easy to see and adjust will probably be a better choice in most cases.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »

My eyesight is not very good so in the venue I like it as easy as possible..  Also having the connectors at the side of the UBB is not very helpful with the microdot connectors.  With the the battery being taped and wrapped up this a not as handy as my SP...

Easy and accurate level adjustment is the primary drawback of the CA-UGLY.  I dial in the approximate setting at home with a small screw driver or pen-knife, leaving enough head room to adjust levels on the Edirol during the recording if necessary.  It's not at all convenient to have to adjust gain on the UGLY while recording.  The gaff tape I have on mine is just to secure the input and output cables, not to secure the battery.  It just snaps in and is quite secure.   Although the battery is exposed and looks like it would fall out, it doesn't.  As for the position of the connectors, Chris can probably put those where ever you want them since each is built to order.

All that being said, the primary strong point of the UGLY is super-small size.  It doesn't trade sound quality for that but it does trade features and ease of adjustment.  A slightly larger preamp which is easy to see and adjust will probably be a better choice in most cases.

Thanks for the answer Gutbucket.  I wrote a mail to DPA and asked to add a pair of Microdt connectors wth cable to the female microdots.  In this case I can have the uglu configured to 1/8 neutrik angle connectors and use my others mics as well with this pre amp.  I will wait and see what DPA sents and then I will contact Chris and discuss/order a preamp.

Thanks to everybody for his input.

Great community,

SF

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
One final detail-

I use the 1/8" TRS mini-jacks for the smallest size possible and so I can use the preamps with other mics I have which use that plug, but if that wasn't an issue I'd consider using mini-XLRs connectors. Those are superior, locking connectors which will probably be more reliable in the long term than the TRS mini's.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2009, 09:24:53 AM »

Thanks for the answer Gutbucket.  I wrote a mail to DPA and asked to add a pair of Microdt connectors wth cable to the female microdots.  In this case I can have the uglu configured to 1/8 neutrik angle connectors and use my others mics as well with this pre amp.  I will wait and see what DPA sents and then I will contact Chris and discuss/order a preamp.

Thanks to everybody for his input.

Great community,

SF
I can configure the ugly to have both sets of connectors if needed.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jchall

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »
Just checking in...I pulled the trigger on an R-09HR.  Supposed to be delivered Friday.   ;D
Open: Peluso CEMC-6(ck-2, ck-21, ck-4, ck-41)>FR2LE
Not so Open: AT853-U(o, sc, c, h, sg)>CA ST-9100>R-09HR or MT2496
Old Time: Beyerdynamic m201(c)>Marantz PMD420

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »
Just checking in...I pulled the trigger on an R-09HR.  Supposed to be delivered Friday.   ;D

You won't regret it!
First order of business is to get a larger SD card and rechargeable batteries if you don't have have said items.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com