Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which recorder Fostex FR-2LE or Marantz PMD-661 ?  (Read 9795 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Which recorder Fostex FR-2LE or Marantz PMD-661 ?
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
Looking for a recorder to run with mics(do not have mics yet)but i like the specs of these two recorders but whats the difference?I don't want a recorder that needs a modification and i do not want to run an external preamp.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Which recorder Fostex FR-2LE or Marantz PMD-661 ?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
I run a stock Fostex FR-2LE with no mods done to it. i love the thing. I don't know anything about the 661, so i can't really say more than that.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »
As long as you don't care about actual 24bit dynamic range, either unit would work unmodded. I have heard great recordings made with the Busman modded FR2LE. I don't know the details of the mods for it as I have never owned one.

The published specs of the stock 661 shows that it only delivers a dynamic range of 65db through the XLR mic in, and 85db XLR line in, which is 9db short of the 96db dynamic range of 16bit and far short of 24bit capability, so if that is not an issue to you, you can get away without any modifications. This deficiency is due to the noise of the anlog circuits before the A/D stage, btw.

Since the Oade concert and warm mods increase the dynamic range substantially, closer to true 24bit performance, and only adds $60 to the price when you buy one from him already modded, I can't see not going ahead and going that way, but that's just me.

Good luck, both the Fostex and Marantz are nice units.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:50 AM »
The Marantz has a much better form factor and more convenient battery system. Also has a digital in (even if you don't need it, that would help with the resale value).

Since the 661 came out there has been a lot of satisfied adopters and much discussion about it. There has not been nearly as much discussion of the FR2-LE since the 661 came out, which should probably tell you something.

Incredible deal on a floor model 661  from an authorized dealer for $515 here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-PMD-661-/310227810777?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b04b9d9
or you can go $539 for a brand new one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-PMD661-PORTABLE-FIELD-FLASH-SD-RECORDER-PMD-661-/310226010116?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483ae94004
And those prices are before 8% cash back & 2% E-Bay bucks.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
The Marantz has a much better form factor and more convenient battery system.

^ this is 100% opinion. One of the reason I bought the fostex was for the battery system.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
fmaderjr is very opinionated and clearly hates his fr-2le so I presume and suspect he would recommend any other recorder on the market.

Check out this post with it starting I hate my FR2-LE for many reasons... Re: FR-2LE - PMD671 opinions
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »
fmaderjr is very opinionated and clearly hates his fr-2le so I presume and suspect he would recommend any other recorder on the market.

Check out this post with it starting I hate my FR2-LE for many reasons... Re: FR-2LE - PMD671 opinions

Sorry if I offended you rastasean. I've read many of your posts with interest.

I do hate the FR2-LE and admitted as much in my prior postings. However in this post, I didn't actually say it wasn't a fine recorder. I don't dispute the fact that most people who have bought the FR2-LE obtain great results with it.

I just think most people trying both would find the 661 more convenient to use. I much prefer the 661's battery system (hate that wire pinching sled in the FR2-LE) and its smaller form factor.  Just my opinion of course.

The Marantz has a much better form factor and more convenient battery system.

^ this is 100% opinion. One of the reason I bought the fostex was for the battery system.

I thought that was understood-It's my opinion. Most of what we post here is just our opinion. Again, I wasn't trying to offend anyone, so I'll sign off on the subject.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:09:59 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
I have run both stock units at the same time and kept the Fostex, but it's really what features are most important to you. Here are the three reasons I kept the Fostex:

1) Much easier to power externally. I think the Fostex will accept 6-12v, the 661 only 5v. I have powered the Fostex with a DIY 12v battery pack for more than 30+ hours on a single set of 8 D batts and still had 60% capacity left. If you record festivals, this could be a big deal. On the 661, you can use a lot of AAs, or get an expensive Tekkeon unit. I attempted to power the 661 externally only once. Used a set of 8 D batts (wired for 6v output) run down to 4.98v to avoid possibly frying the unit. I got about 90 minutes of record time before it shut down (4.75v). I was very fortunate to recover the file; most times, the file would be irretrievably lost if the deck shut down while powered externally. The Fostex saves the file each minute, so the most music you could possibly lose is the last 59 seconds.

2) Too sensitive input stage on the 661. This all depends on your mics and what type of recording you are doing. If you're recording loud music, it is possible to brickwall the 661 even with the pad set to -18. The -18 pad setting is recommended for all occasions unless you need additional gain. On one occasion, I had the 661's -18 pad engaged and still had to engage the -10 pad on my LSD2, a mic that is not all that sensitive as mics go. Some mics don't have a pad (like my Naiant mics), so you might have to add an inline pad which negates some of the smaller size advantage of the 661. Keep this in mind when choosing mics and deck for your intended purposes.

3) The clock of the Fostex matches my camcorder perfectly. This means that I can add an audio track recorded on the Fostex to my DVD authoring software without any modification and there won't be any drift whatsoever. The clock of the 661 started to noticeably drift after about a half-hour. Your camcorder may differ.

A digital input would be nice on the Fostex, but I've managed without one.

The larger size of the Fostex makes stealthing harder, but not impossible  ;).

I have a love/hate relationship with the mic input feature on the Fostex, though. It's great for easily matching levels between channels, but I have had the inputs set too high before. When you do, there is audible distortion until you get the inputs dialed back down (there is an overload light). This is great for situations where you are rehearsing and can balance the mic input and main gain controls, not so great when you've only got one chance to get it right. When in doubt, set it at the 9:00 position and leave it there unless you can't get levels high enough with the main gain control.

As for the dynamic range and mods, this might be a deciding factor if you are recording quiet sources. Have there been any independent measurements of stock and modded units to verify claims? I'd want to see that before spending any additional funds.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »
Too sensitive input stage on the 661. This all depends on your mics and what type of recording you are doing. If you're recording loud music, it is possible to brickwall the 661 even with the pad set to -18. The -18 pad setting is recommended for all occasions unless you need additional gain. On one occasion, I had the 661's -18 pad engaged and still had to engage the -10 pad on my LSD2, a mic that is not all that sensitive as mics go. Some mics don't have a pad (like my Naiant mics), so you might have to add an inline pad which negates some of the smaller size advantage of the 661. Keep this in mind when choosing mics and deck for your intended purposes.

Wow! I stand corrected. That would be a deal breaker for me. That will teach me to talk up a recorder I've read a ton about but have not used. My apologies to you FR2-LE users.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »
I love my FR2-LE.  :laugh:

It was out prior to the 661 and I enjoyed the recordings posted on LMA with it.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
I'm biased because I own (and really like) a PMD-661.  but before I bought the 661, I used a FR-2LE a few times, so I have experience with both decks.  One thing I really don't like about the FR-2LE is that when you get to the max file size, it just stops and doesn't automatically start a new file.  sure, the max file size is 4 gigs (and not 2 gigs).  but at 24/96, you'll hit 4 gigs at 2 hours, which just doesn't cut it for me.  So for me, the deck limits use to recording at 24/48 (because 4 hours of continuous recording is enough for me).  So that's a bummer.

Also, as has been mentioned above, I like that it has an RCA coax S/PDIF input.  that means I can transfer DATs with it, and for big shows, I can sometimes borrow external gear (like a V3>AD2K combo I borrowed for Phish last fall).  of course, I really like the way the deck sounds with mics plugged directly into it.  But it only comes close.  a V3 and an AD2K are clearly a step up in terms of sound and clarity (but also for a significant additional cost and size).

Also also, I prefer rechargeable AA's in the PMD-661 over the FR-2LE battery system.  I know it's a matter of preference, but I prefer AA's.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »

Also also, I prefer rechargeable AA's in the PMD-661 over the FR-2LE battery system.  I know it's a matter of preference, but I prefer AA's.
the fr-2le uses aa too
so if someone was to make a purchase based on battery options then the fr2le is def better imo since it does aa and rc
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »

the fr-2le uses aa too
so if someone was to make a purchase based on battery options then the fr2le is def better imo since it does aa and rc

ahh, thanks for that additional info.  The FR-2LE that I borrowed for a few shows had an RC battery with it, so that's why I thought that that was all it took.  I didn't realize that it also had a AA battery sled...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:50 PM »
Another difference is that the Fostex has a -10db unbalanced consumer line input, and the PMD661 has a +4 balanced line input. If being able to accept a balanced line level input source that is 14db hotter before brickwalling makes a difference, then you can score that feature over to the PMD661 side of the table, along with the bit accurate 24/96 coax input it has. 
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com