Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 82158 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
very nice...see I had to move all of my main playback to the finished attic, which is completely mine, for kid and wife reasons....so I can listen up there all I want and I have my Apple Airport distributing my digital music collection around the house.

I would never get to listen to the vinyl if it was in my den...

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
Are those bricks on your cable box???
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »
Are those bricks on your cable box???

They improve the picture. ;D :P

mfrench

« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
Actually,... Yes, they are bricks, split pavers. Those are used as spacers for my DVD-A player that has been disconnected since like june? So I guess they just space holders for now.
Actually, now that I'm looking over there, they're now being used as the base for the junk pile that is the base mount for the new DIY tonearm.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2009, 09:17:43 AM »
Ahh. I was wondering if it was the latest DIY tweak!

The new setup looks like a great improvement, and the Lenco looks *awesome*!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

mfrench

« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »
the best thing about a massive plinth like that,...
I had the stack of record albums on the right of the table tip over and land against the plinth during playback.
Thats like 40lbs of 78 records hitting it.
Any other light plinth would have been shoved aside, turntable relocated.
The lenco plinth is so heavy that I didn't even hear the records hitting it, not even a groove skip - rock steady.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »
That is a really nice setup Mike...  The table is looking great, especially with the shelves and everything else.

btw I think I found a lead on a guy who has a whole bunch of old lenco gear he doesn't need anymore.  Going to take a trip and see him this weekend.
mics & cameras

mfrench

« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
That is a really nice setup Mike...  The table is looking great, especially with the shelves and everything else.

btw I think I found a lead on a guy who has a whole bunch of old lenco gear he doesn't need anymore.  Going to take a trip and see him this weekend.

sweet!
L75 and L78 are good building decks.
You want to make sure that its a heavy platter model, as there were a couple of lighter platters. The L78 and L75 are heavy platters. The bearings are much better, to handle the heavier platter.
There are several really nice bearing upgrades being offered right now for the heavy bearing rigs.

How are you at DIY?
If you're handy, these things can be cheaply and easily built into some of the finest world class players.

Have you seen my tonearm project, the RatsPaw?
Its in Team DIY. It has evolved from an admittedly laughable beginning, to something to be reckoned with; and has cost a whopping $16.25 so far ($16 for a nice fine Litz wire cart. loom, and .25¢ for a pair of screws). I built it to match the lines of the Lenco build; to emulate the 'audio-deco' look.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »

sweet!
L75 and L78 are good building decks.
You want to make sure that its a heavy platter model, as there were a couple of lighter platters. The L78 and L75 are heavy platters. The bearings are much better, to handle the heavier platter.
There are several really nice bearing upgrades being offered right now for the heavy bearing rigs.

How are you at DIY?
If you're handy, these things can be cheaply and easily built into some of the finest world class players.

Have you seen my tonearm project, the RatsPaw?
Its in Team DIY. It has evolved from an admittedly laughable beginning, to something to be reckoned with; and has cost a whopping $16.25 so far ($16 for a nice fine Litz wire cart. loom, and .25¢ for a pair of screws). I built it to match the lines of the Lenco build; to emulate the 'audio-deco' look.

Solid, that's what I'll look for.  The guy doesn't know what he has, just says he's got alot of "junk" and to come take a look at it to see what I'd need.    I'm pretty decent at DIY stuff though living in a city I don't have a work shop for fabricating much beyond what my basic tools can do.  So I may have to ousource the building of the plinth.  First step though is to find nice bones, we'll see what I can come up with.
mics & cameras

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »
Sanjay,  I have a table saw, router table and assorted hand tools. You're welcome to bring out some hardwood and make your cuts here.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »
Sanjay,  I have a table saw, router table and assorted hand tools. You're welcome to bring out some hardwood and make your cuts here.

Thanks for the offer dude, I'm sure I'll be in touch.
mics & cameras

mfrench

« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
Sanjay,

Did you get a deck?
If you did, and are going to re-plinth it, don't buy a plinth template. They're offered on eBay.
There is a free, far better template, at LencoHeaven, as a pdf download, that can be brought to a print shop, and made to a 1:1 print on heavy paper stock.
As far as tools and space - you can get the rough cuts at Home Despot / Lowes. Beyond that, a drill motor, and portable jig saw, and a few other hand tools are all that are necessary.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:19:57 PM by mfrench »

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #282 on: October 09, 2009, 01:25:13 AM »
so hear it finally is, my man cave in all its glory.  still have some picture frames to hang but for the most parts its there.....for now.

RIG:
pc> M-audio 192 sound card coax out
Outlaw Audio 970 Pre> Phatman Silver Innerconnects
Adcom GFA-545> Segue Dogstar Silver Cables
Martin Logan Preface's
Paradigm PS-1200

from my listening spot/sweet spot

the sweet seat

my desk about 2' back from the sweet seat

stage right

and stage left

DFC

this was to even out my symmetry of the room, but wasnt doing what i wanted so i removed it.  i plan to get more ruxwol or corning 703 and making triangles to fill the space in.

new preamp and amp.  the pre is much larger than the amp hence the amp on top. 

and my new IC in action.  all IC so far are silver as are the speaker wires.  i made the IC's, and the speaker wires are a set of Todd Ramsden's Segue Dogstar Silver Speaker Cables.

for now, the Bar and beer fridge.  the fridge i hope to soon have a hole poked through the front door to house a tap for the keg inside.

music collection

what more do i need?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:34:25 AM by Jimna »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #283 on: October 09, 2009, 01:27:43 AM »
oh and here is the home theater, its not a man cave but i still put it together and if it was a cave too i would be living the subterranean home sick blues.

rig:
Samsung 550 LCD TV
cable box or DVD player via digital input
Denon 3808ic
Paradigm monitor 9 v.3 L/R (bi-amped)
Paradigm cc350 center
Sony 10' active sub (not sure of model, but its not doing much as the mains cover most of the bass)
Bose 201's for rears

fwiw, the front and rears are at an equal split of 13' with 15' from front to rear.

from the couch/veiwing spot:

FR speaker

FL speaker

center (notice i have it elevated/jacked up for better aim at the couch)

Denon, cable box, and pioneer dvd player

RR speaker

LR speaker

back half of the room w/ rears in view

notice the wall plates i installed, it gives the whole thing a more professional look.  suspension was the only mount that gave me some flexibility without spending more money on the mout than the speaker it held was worth
RR >
RL >

im really happy with this setup.  it has great spread and separation, and tons of in your face 360* encompassing sound. 
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #284 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
nice job Jim!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com