Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 82528 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »
Tim are you saying that brick is burnt orange (if so I need to adjust my monitor) or a set of longhorns would look good mounted on the brick?

yeah its definitely got a burnt orange look in better light/in person
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Nice digs! Very nice system as well!

I think (at least from the pictures) that the brick looks fine, it just needs some art or a shelf or something to break it up....it is  B I G!

Incidentally, I see you have a Discwasher. You might want to do an EBay search for "vintage" Discwasher. The newer ones use a corduroy pad instead of the original stuff (which was similar to corduroy, but picked up dust much better). But don't just take my word for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tkk2EW9fHo

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p0.m38.l1313&_nkw=vintage+discwasher&_sacat=See-All-Categories
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Tim

« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »
thanks for the tip on the discwasher som!

yes I picked up a masonry bit this weekend so I can hang something on that brick :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
Looks good Tim, looking forward to the first listening party.

On the discwasher system, even better to be truly vintage.  I have no idea how bad the new ones are, but my (current) one is from 1983 or so.  The one I got in ~1979 was lost in college and I replaced it with my early 80s one.  This "newer" one is nowhere near as good as the 70's one, though it does sound like its better than the current one.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »
Tim, that huge fireplace wall just needs a nice mantle over it.  Don't paint the bricks (mine are painted, and it sucks).  (At least not til you've tried a mantle.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2009, 07:15:27 AM »
what he said ^

Build a mantel.  not very hard.  Just some mitering.
Then you'll have a nice shelf there to dump shit on top of.  Another place for record storage!

Offline Tim

« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »
Tim, that huge fireplace wall just needs a nice mantle over it.  Don't paint the bricks (mine are painted, and it sucks).  (At least not til you've tried a mantle.)

the bricks have already been painted, thats why they look so awful :lol:

thanks for the idea Brian :)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
I've a similar situation.  Brick wall & fireplace.  Brick wraps around from the living room into the kitchen.  Previous owner attempted to paint the mortar lines with white paint, horribly, and then painted some sort of shiny clear coat over the brick. Looks atrocious.  I'm hesitant to paint it, but there is a dark wooden ceiling and oak floors and the room could use some brightening up.  I'm either going to paint the brick a off-white cream, or go all out and re-face it with limestone which would be more fitting to the location and style of the house.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Tim

« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »
directly above this fireplace is an identical fire place in our living room, its painted white and looks very nice. not sure what the fuck they were thinking downstairs ::)

good luck senor bucket

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »

the bricks have already been painted, thats why they look so awful :lol:

thanks for the idea Brian :)

Didn't realize the bricks were already painted. Since they have been, paint over them with the color of your choice. I thought they were still natural and you would be applying the first coat. Removing paint from bricks is a bitch. Wouldn't wish that job on anyone but a professional. Like Brian said, a nice mantle and /or a large mirror/framed artwork/etc and the room will have a whole different feel to it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
Didn't realize the bricks were already painted. Since they have been, paint over them with the color of your choice. I thought they were still natural and you would be applying the first coat. Removing paint from bricks is a bitch. Wouldn't wish that job on anyone but a professional.

Me either.  What he said.  ^^^
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
In our house, the original owner painted the fireplace brick white.  The second owner (right before us) couldn't stand that the brick was painted white, and hired an artist to paint it to look like brick.  It is so well done, I would never have known the brick was painted unless the previous owner told me and I then looked carefully. 

Offline L.B.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
If I only have my pics on my HD, is it possible to insert them here?

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
they dont want us uploading pics to the site anymore.  go sign up for a free photo hosting site and then link you pics from there.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »

squeezebox v.1 (16bit/48k resolution via toslink, wireless network player)
tascam dat (da-20) 16bit/48k
directv "off-air" antenna converter box (AM21)
hd-directv DVR (HR21)
panasonic dvd-a player (DVDS52) [24/96 DVD+/-R's]
lg network blu-ray player (BD300)  (STREAMS Netflix, in better than SD resolution if your LAN can support that bitstream)
yamaha receiver (RXV-663) [24/192 Burr Brown D>A converters on all inputs]

Panasonic 42" Plasma 720p/1080i
Mirage v2 Omnisat Towers, Mirage Omnisat Center

http://www.pbase.com/titoedge/audio_cabinet_jan_2009

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com