Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 116810 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »

Normal behavior. The setting on the recorder doesn't go low enough for 9V batts.

Set the R-44 to 'adapter' and use the meter on the battery instead of the recorder.  Internal batteries will take over seamlessly if you unplug to switch externals.

Will the internals take over seamlessly if your external battery dies and the R44 is set to 'adapter'?  I guess I always assumed so, now I'm thinking if you have it set to adapter, you might have to monitor the external battery charge and pull it out if it is getting low.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Will the internals take over seamlessly if your external battery dies and the R44 is set to 'adapter'?  I guess I always assumed so, now I'm thinking if you have it set to adapter, you might have to monitor the external battery charge and pull it out if it is getting low.

Good question.  I've always switched before the external completely discharged.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »

Normal behavior. The setting on the recorder doesn't go low enough for 9V batts.

Set the R-44 to 'adapter' and use the meter on the battery instead of the recorder.  Internal batteries will take over seamlessly if you unplug to switch externals.

Thank you for your quick assist! So with a 12V or 16V battery it would not be a problem for anyway lovely R-44.

I couldn't say about a higher voltage battery but I can run an awfully long time on one of the 9v batteries. However, for festivals I have a cable that allows me to run two in parallel. I ran all day with that rig at Wanee last year and only dropped an LED or two on the battery levels. I have four of the batteries in total and never charged one all weekend.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
Hi,

I just bough an Initial RB-270 battery for the unit. After connected them I experience a "low battery" warning in external battery setup. Pack is brandnew and gives 9.26V output. I tried to change voltages in menu but no change. When I switch my setup to "adapter" instead of external battery everything seems to be fine. No annoying "low battery" msg then.

What's wrong? Maybe a bug in firmware? Any advice I would love to read. Thank you.

What GutBucket said. I've made 70+ recordings that way without incident.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »
Last night, I noticed on the Oade-modified Edirol R-44 that Edirol placed a sticker on it that states "Warranty Void If Seal Is Broken Or Removed".
These are the stickers that split apart when peeled back. This sticker was never removed. To open the Edirol R-44, this sticker must be removed. So how did Doug Oade modify this Edirol R-44 ?
Perhaps I need to ask him myself but figured someone on this board knows what's up.

Thanks in advance!

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:16 AM »
Last night, I noticed on the Oade-modified Edirol R-44 that Edirol placed a sticker on it that states "Warranty Void If Seal Is Broken Or Removed".
These are the stickers that split apart when peeled back. This sticker was never removed. To open the Edirol R-44, this sticker must be removed. So how did Doug Oade modify this Edirol R-44 ?
Perhaps I need to ask him myself but figured someone on this board knows what's up.

Thanks in advance!

There is no such sticker on my unmodified R-44 and I never noticed one on any others but then I didn't look for one. It might be a sticker Doug is adding after his mods. Oade Brothers is a small business and they can't afford to repair a unit because somebody got curious, opened one up and messed it up.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:07 AM »

Thanks in advance!
How do you know that Edirol placed the sticker? Is it an Edirol sticker? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I don't see that sticker on my unmodded R-44.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
Back in the day when I worked at a computer store we used to routinely add such stickers to machines we built.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline nOrD

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2010, 08:42:42 AM »
Back in the day when I worked at a computer store we used to routinely add such stickers to machines we built.
I have not added sticker to my version neither. I took first two pics before the little tuning.

Edit by BSkalinder:  Please re-size pictures to a usable / easily viewable size.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:24:20 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »

Thanks in advance!

Im pretty sure that sticker was put there by Oade, not Edirol. I too have an Oade mod R-44, as well as a Oade T+Mod UA-5, and previously owned an Oade ACM PMD-671, all of which have the Warranty Void sticker...

kirk97132

« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2010, 03:25:16 PM »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:57:05 PM by kirkd »

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
Thank you for responding. I suppose then that the stock Edirol R-44 unit does not
have any "WARNING WARRANTY VOID..." sticker, but Oade puts it on all his units.
I would have guessed Edirol would have put one on too. Pretty interesting.
Thank you all again!  :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:13:36 PM by TheImplodingVoice »

Offline nOrD

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2010, 06:15:41 AM »
When using M/S effect what is the proper setting in recording mode? Monox2 or Stereox1. I think the first, just want to be sure in that.

Also, if I record two mono channels in M/S how can I change level of side channel during the mix if needed. S will be the right channel so how to mix this if I want a stereo output?

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »
When using M/S effect what is the proper setting in recording mode? Monox2 or Stereox1. I think the first, just want to be sure in that.

Also, if I record two mono channels in M/S how can I change level of side channel during the mix if needed. S will be the right channel so how to mix this if I want a stereo output?

I don't record M/S, but I'd recommend that you decode M/S via software after the fact, rather than trying to use the mode on the R44. Seems like you'll get much more flexibility that way.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
If you use the MS effect during recording, the mid and side inputs will get converted to a normal stereo recording before being passed to the SDHC card.  Whether you record that as a stereo file or two mono files doesn't matter - it's just left and right at that point, same as if you'd recorded using a conventional stereo mic.

If you connect an MS pair to the R-44 and don't use the MS effect to record, monitoring the recording will sound weird.  If you use the MS effect on playback, then it will sound ok.  It's a pity that the R-44 does not allow you to hear effects during recording unless you record with effects.

If you record without the MS effect, you can vary the width on playback with the MS effect switched on, using the provided control page (see manual for details - I think it's the 'display' button).  If you record with the MS effect on, you can still vary the width afterwards in a DAW using the Voxengo "MSED" VST effect (or any other that does the job).  That VST effect converts the normal stereo signal you've recorded back to MS, allows you to vary the width, then converts back to normal stereo.  MSED works with a stereo file, so if you've recorded two mono files you need to route them to a stereo track in your DAW and apply the effect on that track, which is marginally more complex.

Try all this thoroughly at home before using it for real.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com