Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163744 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
I may have fixed it!
But there is one card that still gives errors.

Here is a good question, though:

There are 4 RCA outs on the R-44.
Do they act only during playback or could I run them to 2 other backup decks and use the R-44 as sort of a preamp?
Or would any card errors just go on through to the backup decks?

Just a thought.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »
I may have fixed it!
But there is one card that still gives errors.

Here is a good question, though:

There are 4 RCA outs on the R-44.
Do they act only during playback or could I run them to 2 other backup decks and use the R-44 as sort of a preamp?
Or would any card errors just go on through to the backup decks?

Just a thought.

It should be a pass through regardless of the card error.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
Pretty sure the RCA's outs are active while recording, their function determined by the menu setting (direct individual channels, or whatever stereo monitor mix config is determined via pushing the headphone gain knob).  If I recall correctly I think I patched out all four channels from the RCAs on mine directly into another R44 that way last spring.  At least we talked about doing that, can't remember if we actually ended up doing something else.

Not sure if the RCA output would hickup/mute with a card slow error.  If the headphone jack remains active, then I'd expect the RCA outs to as well.  You'd need to test that with your known 'slow card' to be certain, but if I had to bet I'd bet with Ted.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
Thanks guys.
Invaluable again, as usual.
Out for 3 nights of solid 6 hours in NYC staring tonight, so lets hope for the best!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline melvis1645

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
I just picked up a r44 and have a couple of questions. If I am running 2 sets of mics I would want it on analog correct? Also what is best stereo x1, mono x4, etc. Finally with 2 sets of mics would I need 2 pre amps if all I have are 2 channel pres or is the built in pre good enough for one with say a niant bigbox on the other? As always thanks in advance.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
I just picked up a r44 and have a couple of questions. If I am running 2 sets of mics I would want it on analog correct?
Yes
what is best stereo x1, mono x4, etc.
Recording two mic pairs I'd suggest stereo x2
Finally with 2 sets of mics would I need 2 pre amps if all I have are 2 channel pres or is the built in pre good enough for one with say a niant bigbox on the other?
That's a subjective question to which you're are likely to get different answers depending on who you ask.  You certainly don't need external preamps but might prefer them. Plenty of people are perfectly content with the stock internal preamps. My R44 is Oade Concert modded and I don't feel any need for external preamps.  I've never used one with stock preamps.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline melvis1645

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
I have 2 sets of naks so I might do a test stereo x2 with naks>bigbox>r44 and naks>r44 to get an idea of how the unmodded r44 pre sounds. Thanks for the info.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
Also, if he ran 4xMono, he could get around the 4gb limit if running 24/96, correct ??? I know I read that somewhere recently here on ts.com, but Im not sure if every 4 channel recorder is like that ???

Back for RAQ NYE 2007, I used an SD 744 PLUS my SD 722. I ran 4xMono on the SD 744 because thats what I was told to do. I only ran 24/48 if my memory is correct, which is very questionable :P ;) The 4 channels on the 744 were SBD[2 channels] and MBHO Hypers[2 channels], and all I did when I got home was use SD's Wave Agent program and then made the recordings 2xstereo channels :) Duno why but thats what Ned told me to do with his 744, and it worked like a charm. Im sure ANYONE could record 4xMono on ANY 4 channel deck and then use SD's Wave Agent program to re-do the channels :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
You can't do 4x mono if running digi in. You can do the 1x4ch. This splits every half hour at 2496.

I think the best format to use depends on your work flow. The 1x4 works best for me when recording 4channels, and when i record 2ch i do 2xmono.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
There is no clear cut answer to which is best.  Personally, I'm always recording 4 channels with this recorder and I find myself switching between using stereo x 2 and mono x 4.

A practical advantage of stereo x 2 is that it writes two interleaved stereo WAV files, one for each channel pair, and those files may be listened in stereo directly with most any WAV capable software or hardware media player.  To listen to mono files in stereo you must load them into editing software or combine them into an interleaved stereo file with something like WaveAgent first.

Plus, since we are most often dealing in stereo pairs, for file management and quick listening to the raw files I find it useful to have one stereo file for the AUD mics and another for the SBD, or whatever the pairings are.

However, writing individual mono files doubles the record time between 2GB file splilts which might be useful.  The time at which that split occurs is determined by the record sample rate and bit depth.

1x4ch keeps all the channels together in one file, which I suppose may be useful.  I never used that one myself as it files splits too frequently while recording and I can't play the raw files easily without loading DAW software.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
New to the team. Bought a used r-44 off the YS which came with an 8GB card. Looking ahead to festival season where I will be running SBD+AUD I'm obviously going to need a few more cards.

Looking for suggestions on 32GB or 64GB cards that play nice with the r-44.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »
class 10
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »
class 10

Any in particular? Or does any class 10 do the job in the R-44 regardless of size?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
class 10

Can't speak for 32gb, but I've used 16gb cards as low as class 4 (Sandisk, PNY, Kingston) in my R-44 running 4 channel mono without a single hiccup.  Agreed that the higher the class/speed, the better (it certainly doesn't hurt to have the fastest cards you can afford) but digital audio recording isn't quite as finicky as digital video.  YMMV, etc.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
class 10

Any in particular? Or does any class 10 do the job in the R-44 regardless of size?

Well make sure you're getting a genuine card (i.e., buy it direct from an authorized retailer).  At least half of what's out there (of any sort of card) is counterfeit. 

I've pretty much stuck with Sandisk but there are several solid brands.  I do have two HP thumb drives that both crapped out (the only ones I have that stopped working, so if they made cards I wouldn't buy them).  I don't think the class is all that important either as long as its not an ancient or phony card. 

I've used everything from 4 GB to 32 GB.  I don't think I have any 64 GB cards (yet?).  I'm sort of in favor of not putting a whole day on one card if I can swap them out periodically (just for piece of mind in the off chance of an epic fail). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com