Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cassette transfers.  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Sevoflurane

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Cassette transfers.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
I used to run Nakamichi > V3 > R-44, but now just run Nakamichi > Mixpre-6

I'm trying to explain this without sounding dumb. But that's not going to happen... Any way to run into these recorders so that the waveform is the same as what is recorded on the media? Instead of having to adjust levels? I feel like sometimes I run it a bit hot and it sounds brickwalled, even though it's not looking that way on the WAV file.
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0
Recorders: M10, A10, TCD-D8
Transfers: Nakamichi CR-3A, Tascam DA-20

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 03:12:27 AM »
I'm not sure that I understand your question. 

I have done literally thousands of cassette transfers.  Shit there is a box of bluegrass tapes at my feet while I type and stacks on my desk collecting dust while I pound through my school work.  I have one of those silly black and white composition books that I use to take notes.  Side A, Side B and their corresponding Mixpre file #s.  I fill an SD card and dump it, make text files, have my historain buddy do a write up and then it all sits idel.

What part isn't going to happen?  If you are brickwalling a digital recorder you probably have your limiters on.  Set the Mixpre so the peaks tick red and you are good.  You should only adjust levels so it does come out like crap.  Anything else can be done in post.  All of mine are residing in raw FlAC'd 24/96 files waiting for some tracking angel to fall from heaven so that I can share them all on the LMA. 

This is all I have been able to upload so far:  https://archive.org/details/thespps
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10
Playback: McIntosh MC 2105 > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (64)
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »
I notice that in some transfer lineage that the cassette deck is sometimes listed as just Nakamichi (no model #) or some other random cassette deck. Usually three head decks. Since we are obviously concerned with playback only for transfers are the big dogs like the Dragon and CR7A really necessary? Aren’t the strong points of these masterpieces for recording? For transfers playback azimuth is the strongest point. Some decks there is a knob on the face, auto or take the door off.
Beyerdynamic CK930>Sound Devices MixPre 6

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
For transfers playback azimuth is the strongest point. Some decks there is a knob on the face, auto or take the door off.
How many non-"Big Dog" decks have manual azimuth adjust*, much less auto? Not many. Any?
*meaning knob, not a screw

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:42:41 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB/AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
Samson C02/Superlux S502/iSK Little Gem -> DR-680MKII
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> DR-680MKII
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
I used to run Nakamichi > V3 > R-44, but now just run Nakamichi > Mixpre-6

I'm trying to explain this without sounding dumb. But that's not going to happen... Any way to run into these recorders so that the waveform is the same as what is recorded on the media? Instead of having to adjust levels? I feel like sometimes I run it a bit hot and it sounds brickwalled, even though it's not looking that way on the WAV file.

Technically, you could make Test Transfers and re-adjust the input levels on your recorder until you get the same levels on your input as your output.  I'm not sure that's possible via the meters on your cassette deck vs the meters on your recorder.  I think it would take a lot of technical effort and gizmos...

Years ago, I figured out a good "working" input level on my recorder and stick with that.  If I find that I'm running hot (or not hot enough), I'll adjust and start the Tape over... 

But yeah, when going analog to digital, there's no way to do a "perfect" transfer...  Its the nature of the analog beast...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2019 Taperssection.com