Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RockBox Settings  (Read 20220 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: RockBox Settings
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 10:56:21 AM »
As long as this rockbox segment is fired up again, when i am searching around rockbox, i am having a little difficulty locating the REP for the H3XX, maybe i am overlooking it but any help would be great.

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 11:10:36 AM »
Ok, so the volume doesn't matter? (mine's currently at -25db)

My AGC Safety says 4db even though I set it for 24db...?

Volume doesn't affect the recording at all, only gain does.

You will notice that the gain displayed (max. gain?) by the AGC Safety line will fluctuate depending on what you set your gain to.  I thought that there was a way to set it to a fixed value, but with the recent testing I've been doing I noticed that it just fluctuates, dependent on the gain setting your using at the time.  I'm trying to better understand this function at the moment as well. 

All of the negative comments about tapers using AGC on recorders go out the window with AGC Safety.  All it is going to do is keep you from clipping if you set your initial gain too aggressively.  It would have been nice if my old pcm-m1 had the AGC Safety feature instead of the useless AGC that it came with (useless for live recording, that is). 
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Well, I just said ouch because I can rub people (with my cluelessness) the wrong way....I just didn't expect it to be you!  So, it will start a new file no matter what?  I thought there was some setting that needed to be engaged for a new file to be started once the file limit was reached?

Seriously Petur, you have no idea how big of a rockbox fan I am.  It has saved me from taking the plunge into all-in-one box land and spending a fortune on that rather than on mic capsules!

Shaggy-
I've been guilty of the same thing on probably more than one occassion (trying to shed a little light to someone asking about a feature of the Rockboxed iRiver and mispeaking on the issue).  I can understand how frustrating it must be for the developers when they see misinformation, but I also believe that Petur knows the appreciation and passion that many of us share for the Rockboxed iRiver.  +T's all around  ;D
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline petur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »
 ;D

don't rub it to hard the other way too ;)

Maybe I've been a bit too hard this week, it's been kinda busy :)
But you guys converted me to a taper and I'm loving it - recording every gig I go to...

more tickets? ;)

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
On the AGC issue: 
Arni99's post on this thread:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,85618.msg1140063.html#new  clears things up.
I just need to see if the 'AGC Max setting' is only a function of the REP, or is in the standard build.  I don't remember having the option of setting the max gain setting on the standard build I was using the other night, but I may be wrong.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »
It's on the standard build aswell, I have 25.april.2007 build in one unit and it has it.

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2007, 10:36:20 PM »
P-Man: I'm pretty sure all of the questions you have asked thus far are addressed in the FAQ.  Honestly, as several others have already suggested in this thread, please read it: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73139.0.htm

By continuing to ask questions that are already addressed in the FAQ, you are implying that your time is in fact more valuable than ours.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »
Sorry dude. I did read that actually. I didn't understand it all so I asked for clarification and help. Relax.

I taped my show last night and the volume on the recording is low. Is there a way to make it louder next time? I set left and right gain to 20db.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »
Sorry dude. I did read that actually. I didn't understand it all so I asked for clarification and help. Relax.

I taped my show last night and the volume on the recording is low. Is there a way to make it louder next time? I set left and right gain to 20db.

Is this a trick question  ???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 11:50:11 AM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
No, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it louder while recording. Do I just have to do post editing?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2007, 12:15:44 PM »
You can make the recording louder, by rising the gain to a value over 20db.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2007, 03:18:39 PM »
... but setting gain above 20dB will also introduce more noise.

So if you find yourself with low volume recordings at +20dB, you should consider getting more sensitive mics and/otr a mic-amp

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »
Would setting gain at 15 be better, then amplify after?

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »
no you can still use the iriver gain, but after 24dB it will use the decimator to increase gain (digital gain).

However, this is not that bad since the decimator uses the 24bit signal from the ADC, and the actual recording is 16bit, so in theory this is better than post-processing.

The issue at hand is that the signal becomes noisy because of all these amplifications, which is why I made the above suggestions.

So if you're not going for better mics or a mic-amp, increase gain on the iriver....

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
I own Church Audio mics and battery box. I need more than this?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com