Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RockBox Settings  (Read 20217 times)

Offline P-Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
RockBox Settings
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »
I just RockBoxed my iRiver H120 and need help determining the appropriate settings for recording. On Friday I'm going to a concert and it'll probably be quite loud. What would you recommend?

Also, how long can I record for on an iRiver H120 with an empty HD and recording in wav?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:03:29 PM by P-Man »

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: RockBox Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »
2GB file limit in FAT32 formatted discs, and at WAV at 44.1 it will be a bit more than 3 hours.

Test the H120!  Some used ones have issues with bad sectors on the drive.  Record for a decent length (like an hour) and see if it transfers....and play the file in the computer.

Use the AGC if you plan to record analog in.  search AGC here or go the RB manual to learn how to use it.  And it is ALWAYS LINE-IN (not MIC-IN) when using external mics.  You choose MIC-IN and you will use the lo-quality mono on-board mic THINKING you used your nice outboard mics....gets the novice everytime!

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »
2GB file limit in FAT32 formatted discs, and at WAV at 44.1 it will be a bit more than 3 hours.

Doesn't Rockbox seamlessly create a new file to record longer than that?

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »

Test the H120!  Some used ones have issues with bad sectors on the drive.  Record for a decent length (like an hour) and see if it transfers....and play the file in the computer.

Use the AGC if you plan to record analog in.  search AGC here or go the RB manual to learn how to use it.  And it is ALWAYS LINE-IN (not MIC-IN) when using external mics.  You choose MIC-IN and you will use the lo-quality mono on-board mic THINKING you used your nice outboard mics....gets the novice everytime!
By line-in you mean optical line-in right?

"2GB file limit in FAT32 formatted discs, and at WAV at 44.1 it will be a bit more than 3 hours."
Explain please.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »
"2GB file limit in FAT32 formatted discs, and at WAV at 44.1 it will be a bit more than 3 hours."
Explain please.

HD formatted in FAT32, the max file size running on any OS is 2GB.

I really suggest you check your drive before setting out or you may be in for a major let-down.  A dry run with your mics for an hour or so and then a transfer to the computer so see if you can actually open the transferred file is the simplest way to test it. 

Yes it does, you have to set it to start a new file when it closes the 2GB file.  This is done in recording settings > file split options.  So in theory, a 20GB H120 will record for over 30 hours straight (in 2GB increments).

it is a dual function jack, analog-in (LINE IN), or digital-in (DIGITAL).  The function is determined by the setting in source under the recording settings menu.  AGC (Automatic Gain Control) is not functional in DIGITAL mode.  If you are running a mic>batt box>H120 set up, DO NOT RUN MIC under source!.  You have been warned.

I suggest you read the manual.  It is full of information, leave it near the toilet and bookmark the recording chapter if you have no time to do it.

If you want to get something a bit more condensed for recording including an updated instructions on the AGC, a regular poster - whataboutbob, has taken the time to assemble a quick reference guide: 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73139.0.html

'Learn it. Know it. Live it.' - Brad Hamilton (Judge Reinhold) to the stoner-bud crew in Fast Times at Ridgemont High
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:41:26 PM by shaggy »

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:58:07 PM »
Explain please.

HD formatted in FAT32, the max file size running on any OS is 2GB.

I really suggest you check your drive before setting out or you may be in for a major let-down.  A dry run with your mics for an hour or so and then a transfer to the computer so see if you can actually open the transferred file is the simplest way to test it. 

Yes it does, you have to set it to start a new file when it closes the 2GB file.  This is done in recording settings > file split options.  So in theory, a 20GB H120 will record for over 30 hours straight (in 2GB increments).

it is a dual function jack, analog-in (LINE IN), or digital-in (DIGITAL).  The function is determined by the setting in source under the recording settings menu.  AGC (Automatic Gain Control) is not functional in DIGITAL mode.  If you are running a mic>batt box>H120 set up, DO NOT RUN MIC under source!.  You have been warned.

I suggest you read the manual.  It is full of information, leave it near the toilet and bookmark the recording chapter if you have no time to do it.

If you want to get something a bit more condensed for recording including an updated instructions on the AGC, a regular poster - whataboutbob, has taken the time to assemble a quick reference guide: 

'Learn it. Know it. Live it.' - Brad Hamilton (Judge Reinhold) to the stoner-bud crew in Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Ok, so if I auto split, I won't lose audio?

There's 6 bands, so if I start at the beginning, it should be fine, no need to start & stop after each?

Sorry for being a n00b, but can you just tell me what I need to set please. Do I want analog or digital? AGC? How/where do I change? What db/gain/volume?

If I run and no go, then what?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:25:33 PM »
There's 6 bands, so if I start at the beginning, it should be fine, no need to start & stop after each?

If your batter lasts.  Stopping between bands and conserving your batteries will provide longer run-time.

Sorry for being a n00b, but can you just tell me what I need to set please.

We were all newbies at some point, no need to apologize.  Spoon-feeding won't help for long, and won't help if something goes wrong.  Spend some time experimenting, learning what the settings do, which to use, and where to find them.

Do I want analog or digital? AGC?

Shaggy already provided these answers.

How/where do I change?

Have you read the documentation?  Tried navigating the menu structure to see what's in there?  You should become familiar with all the options on your recorder, whether you use them all or not.  Spend some time reading the documentation and learning the menu structure - it'll pay off in the end.

If I run and no go, then what?

Then you need to figure out what went wrong - all the more reason to familiarize yourself with all of the above.  Test everything out at home to make sure it works and you're less likely to encounter a "no go".
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 02:37:42 AM »

Recording for an hour would only verify if there are bad sectors on that specific chunk of HD that you're recording to.

The best thing to do with your new iRiver is to run chkdsk in DOS, and scan the entire disk (free space as well).  The report it generates at the end will inform you of any bad sectors.

By the way, I just picked up another ihp-120 from seller "roadpal" on ebay.  Looks brand new, no bad sectors.  Highly recommended.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:20:02 AM »
Yes it does, you have to set it to start a new file when it closes the 2GB file.

shaggy please stop talking nonsense! T-

P-Man: Rockbox will automatically start a new file once the current file reaches 2GB, you don't have to set anything special for this. It will not drop a single sample so you can glue them back together. No limits!

You can force it to start a new file while recording by hand or automatically.

Please read the manual: http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml
Please read the FAQ: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73139.0.html

have fun!
Peter
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:22:40 AM by petur »

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »
So how long, if recording wav at 44.1, will my battery last? I really want to record the last 3, but the others would be nice too.

Do I have to set it to auto start a new file or no? ???

I've never used chkdsk or DOS before, how do I do that?

What "volume" level should I set? If I'm using analog/AGC, I don't need to set a gain setting?

I'm looking at this screen:

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:49:59 AM »
So how long, if recording wav at 44.1, will my battery last? I really want to record the last 3, but the others would be nice too.

Do I have to set it to auto start a new file or no? ???

I've never used chkdsk or DOS before, how do I do that?

What "volume" level should I set? If I'm using analog/AGC, I don't need to set a gain setting?

I'm looking at this screen:

1. Based on that screen shot, you need to lower your AGC Safety clip below 24db so it stays within the analog stage.  Avoid going over 24db as it will then jump into the digital stage and well,  it aint gonna sound pretty. 

2. What kind of battery box/preamp and mics do you own? 

3.  Can't tell you what kind of battery life you have in your unit, I get about 8-10 hrs of recording time and 16hrs of mp3 playback.  You really should let the unit record continously until the battery dies and see how much it recorded, that would be a good indicator for battery life. 

Read the faq's Petur provided to answer your questions, you really should make sure you understand how rockbox functions before going out.  Get familiar with it.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 08:53:47 AM »
read carefully ;)
-[081] Recording Settings

your recording screen tells me you are USING "digital-in" instead of "line-in"(for external mic).
change that to "line-in", so you see left AND right gain levelmeters on your screen.
-set them both to +20dB or +15dB before the concert starts and
-set "AGC-max" to +24.0dB and
-for AGC choose "AGC-safety"

the "volume" dB figure:
it´s the output signal(headphones/line-out) and has nothing to do with recording level etc. so please don´t pay attention to this setting for recording ;).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:07:00 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »
1. Based on that screen shot, you need to lower your AGC Safety clip below 24db so it stays within the analog stage.  Avoid going over 24db as it will then jump into the digital stage and well,  it aint gonna sound pretty. 

so, while I'm on my mission to correct posts.... ;)

That AGC Safety Clip level is of no importance at all because AGC Safety will never increase gain anyway... So don't look at it :)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 12:09:58 PM »
That AGC Safety Clip level is of no importance at all because AGC Safety will never increase gain anyway... So don't look at it :)

Petur,
I don't record analog into the iRiver, and could just find this out myself, but:  If you set the Safety Clip Level @ 24db would that not make it so you couldn't accidentally set your actual gain setting above 24db?

(The real reason I posted was to see if you would address Chris Church's question about gain over on the Team iRiver thread.  +T in 12)
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »
gloco-I own Church Audio battery box and mics.

Can I preset all of my recording settings so I just have to press record?

Should I use prerecord?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.228 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com