Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR  (Read 93266 times)

Offline ckas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »
Anyone ever use the low cut(@100) w/omni`s?I was reading not to use it w/ cards but was wondering about omni`s.I used CS low cost binaural`s and it`s a little bassy/muddy.I know about eq/post but just wanted to know if it the bass cut would clean it up alittle to start with.thanks
chris

Offline realkuka

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
I just got and Edirol and I´m going to tape the Faith No More concert in Chile, I have an external mics Microphone Madness MCSM-5 cardioids, I´m new with Edirol, so wich configuration will be the best to record the concert?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
I just got and Edirol and I´m going to tape the Faith No More concert in Chile, I have an external mics Microphone Madness MCSM-5 cardioids, I´m new with Edirol, so wich configuration will be the best to record the concert?
Line in.
88 Khz, 24 bit. check the levels at home before the stereo.

Test again BEFORE the FNM show at another LOUD event so you don't have to change levels at FNM show.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
I've had my R-09HR shut down in the middle of a set a couple of times recently.  Anyone else have this happen?

I'm running the deck on external power, with new alkaline AA's in the battery compartment, so I thought that if there was an issue with the external battery, the deck would switch over to internal batteries seamlessly. In fact, when I try at home, I can plug in and unplug the external battery all I want, and the deck just shows that it goes to internal batteries, or vice versa. 

I'm wondering if there is an issue with the amperage supplied by the external battery.  In other words, could the external battery be providing the right voltage, but not the correct amperage?  Would that cause the deck to power itself down without switching to the internal batteries?  Very strange. 

Last time this happened (taping Elephant Revival the other night) the deck shut down and corrupted the file.  I can see the file in the menu, but I can't play it (on the deck or on the PC) and I can't find a way to repair it.  I can't reproduce the problem at home.  Just getting this random shut-down issue.  Hasn't happened a lot, but once is enough.

I read this entire thread and didn't see any mention of anyone having similar issues, but I did realize I was on firmware version 1.03, so I upgraded to 2.0.  Not sure if the firmware has anything to do with this, but curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
I've had my R-09HR shut down in the middle of a set a couple of times recently.  Anyone else have this happen?

I'm running the deck on external power, with new alkaline AA's in the battery compartment, so I thought that if there was an issue with the external battery, the deck would switch over to internal batteries seamlessly. In fact, when I try at home, I can plug in and unplug the external battery all I want, and the deck just shows that it goes to internal batteries, or vice versa. 

I'm wondering if there is an issue with the amperage supplied by the external battery.  In other words, could the external battery be providing the right voltage, but not the correct amperage?  Would that cause the deck to power itself down without switching to the internal batteries?  Very strange. 

Last time this happened (taping Elephant Revival the other night) the deck shut down and corrupted the file.  I can see the file in the menu, but I can't play it (on the deck or on the PC) and I can't find a way to repair it.  I can't reproduce the problem at home.  Just getting this random shut-down issue.  Hasn't happened a lot, but once is enough.

I read this entire thread and didn't see any mention of anyone having similar issues, but I did realize I was on firmware version 1.03, so I upgraded to 2.0.  Not sure if the firmware has anything to do with this, but curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

sorry to hear about your troubles.

Random shutting down has not occurred to me unless the batteries were completely dead.

In fact, when I try at home, I can plug in and unplug the external battery all I want, and the deck just shows that it goes to internal batteries, or vice versa.

This would be like plugging in the ac power adapter, right. the lightening bolt icon comes on and goes off as you unplug it.

I'm no electrician but I would think that if the external sled was able to power the device on, you would be able to record, correct? so I would think it would be enough to power the device.

Have you read this thread:
R-09HR external power 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »
Uplugging the power is NOT the same as letting the external connected batteries run down.  So your home trials are not telling you what you need to know about low external battery deck response.

The external plug actuates a bypass switch letting the deck know (mechanically) when internal power needs be used. 

In contrast, an external voltage that drops below operating level is likely NOT monitored by the deck like internal batteries.  So the deck just shuts down in bad condition not saving the file like expected of internal batteries getting too low.

While doing a technical review that bench tests the deck (done on a loaned from TS member deck) I did NOT test for running this deck off external supplies as over 10 hours possible using internal lilthium AA batteris makes this external powering in the field most rare requirement. 

Now I wish to have tested for this requirement.

Technical review of this model at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09hrrev.htm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:45:37 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
Thanks, Guy.  I just checked the voltage of the battery I was using the other night, and it was still reading 3.15v, which sounds right.  (it's the battery pack in the thread referred to above by Rastasean).  And then my volt-meter died.  So I was gonna try a few other things, but it looked like the battery pack still held a good charge.  But is it possible that the battery pack provides the correct voltage but at a lower amperage than the deck needs?  The a/c power supply that came with the R-09HR says it provides 3v - 1.2a.  What if my external pack provides 3v at 0.9a?  I suppose that has to make a difference but I can't test anything until I get new batteries for the volt meter. 

Either that or I just need to stick with the internal batteries.  But then again, I was having problems with internal re-chargeable AA's so I was trying to stick with something re-useable. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:22:01 PM by beeco »
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
Measuring batteries while not working into a load like demanded by the deck tells a different story: open cell voltage.  Loaded battery voltage is often much lower than unloaded readings.

Rechargeables can be good only if you know how to use and maintain them.  In other words, getting reliable service from NiMH and other rechargeable batteries takes knowledge and additional work not needed with disposable types. 

My battery powering page has tips section helping to educate about different types of battery use/care at: www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#tips

Also suggest making sure the battery plug, deck jack, and battery cells are very clean (I usually clean mine with +91% pure isopropyl alcohol). 

Also, test your deck/battery by rotating the power plug watching for intermittant contact that can shut down your deck without notice.  Good tact is to secure the power cord to the deck with a velcor strap or similar so plug does not move around  so less chance of disconnection spikes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:05:11 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
probably too early to tell, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the inevitable Sony PCM-M10 vs. Edirol R-09HR comparison.
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
probably too early to tell, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the inevitable Sony PCM-M10 vs. Edirol R-09HR comparison.

Someone started a thread on this but so far not much real comparisons made.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=128792.0

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
Beeco,

The only thing that matters in your case is the voltage.  The amount of current being drawn is dependent on the resistance of the recorder.

My recommendation would be to get a good pair of rechargeable batteries and forget about external powering all together.

I have been using the same rechargeable batteries in my r09 without a single incident for two years now.  Although I do think it is about time for a new pair.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline taper2000_uk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2009, 04:33:05 AM »
Hi tapers
I have just received an Edirol R09HR and having gone through the instruction manual, I think I may have received a faulty machine. The problem is that the input level buttons do not make any difference to the recording level when changed from 0 to 99. When I press record the sound is recorded and does not peak. Have I somehow set an automatic recording level that does not appear to be mentioned in the manual?
Any help out there please.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2009, 04:57:18 AM »
Hi tapers
I have just received an Edirol R09HR and having gone through the instruction manual, I think I may have received a faulty machine. The problem is that the input level buttons do not make any difference to the recording level when changed from 0 to 99. When I press record the sound is recorded and does not peak. Have I somehow set an automatic recording level that does not appear to be mentioned in the manual?
Any help out there please.

See an answer here... http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=128960.0
- What's this knob do?

Offline roxia

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »
I just recieved my Edirol R-09HR

I just wonder how you figure out what input level you will be using before the band starts to play you want to tape?
Do you wait for them to start playing and then set your levels? Do you set your levels when the support act is playing? Or how do you do it?

I guess it will sound pretty strange if you change the input level when the bands start to play when doing playback on your material. It may start to low or distorted (peak light on).

Let me know how you do since I'm going to a indoors rockconcert this week.

I will be using the internal mics.
Video: Canon HF100
Audio: Edirol R-09HR / ST9100 / CA14

Taped shows:
5 audio / 2 video

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
I just recieved my Edirol R-09HR

I just wonder how you figure out what input level you will be using before the band starts to play you want to tape?
Do you wait for them to start playing and then set your levels? Do you set your levels when the support act is playing? Or how do you do it?

The only sure way is to sneak a chicken into the show (you may have to crotch it) and sacrifice it in the bathroom before the performance begins.  Then wipe a little of the blood on your recorder and you'll be fine.   Oh wait - R09?  I was thinking of the Microtrack.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com