Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR  (Read 93259 times)

Offline oudplayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • musiq.com
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR
« Reply #255 on: December 12, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick feedback fmaderjr&Gutbucket... I'll try 38 and see how that works out..

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
Chris Church once posted that the line in unity gain is 38. 

any recollection of the thread or post where this was?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #257 on: December 14, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »

any recollection of the thread or post where this was?

Take a look at these posts:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=105893.msg1437779#msg1437779
and the post under it.

Does it really have to be that specific of a number?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:30:58 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
Does it really have to be that specific of a number?

Sometimes...  On the r09, trim 8 = okay, trim 7 = distortion risk.   It has been suggested the HR behaves similarly.

So if you're already at min gain on your pre-amp, and still at risk of clipping; there is a point where letting it clip may be better than reducing the trim.

And the really important question is what trim and input level combination *sound* the best.  Running a recorder hot doesn't always produce the most pleasing result.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #259 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »

No-I didn't save any quotes I could search for. I'm not going from memory though- I made an immediate note on a pdf copy of the manual. You could PM him and see if he still feels that way or has made further tests and revised his opinion.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Xontar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2009, 01:55:33 AM »

Offline beth

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
So I just bought the R-09HR and I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.  I taped a few shows years ago with a Sony minidisc, but I'm still very much an amateur.

I will want to transfer these shows to my pc, and then make cds in wav format.  Do I need to record at 16 bit/44.1 khz to do this? 

With my minidisc, I used sound professional omni mics and battery box with recording levels.  Is it correct I won't need to use those recording levels because they are on the edirol?

I would rather not use rechargeable batteries.  Is it ok to use engergizer AA lithium batteries with this recorder?

Thanks.

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:49 AM »
Is your battery box also a preamp? If so, you will probably want to run it into the R-09's line in jack. As for 16 versus 24 bits, 24 is superior because it gives you much more dynamic range. You can set your gain much more conservatively and adjust things after on the PC in just about any audio editor. You can dither down to 16-bit for CD burning on the PC as well.  Sorry I can't help with the battery question. I get about 8 hours with Maha/PowerEx brand rechargeables. 

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Are any of you musicians and have you tried the tuner and metronome functions in the latest firmware?  I hope they are better implemented than the halfspeed playback that echoes so much!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »
So I just bought the R-09HR and I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.  I taped a few shows years ago with a Sony minidisc, but I'm still very much an amateur.

I will want to transfer these shows to my pc, and then make cds in wav format.  Do I need to record at 16 bit/44.1 khz to do this? 

With my minidisc, I used sound professional omni mics and battery box with recording levels.  Is it correct I won't need to use those recording levels because they are on the edirol?

I would rather not use rechargeable batteries.  Is it ok to use engergizer AA lithium batteries with this recorder?

Thanks.

You can record at the highest quality and down sample to burn to CD. Most of us do that by recording at 48/24 and downsampling to 44.1/16 to burn to CD and post on the net.

this is the linage for my 09hr

mics(ca14 cards/omnis) > pre-amp(ca9100) > line-in on 09HR

With this, you adjust the levels on the pre-amp and on the 09hr until the meter is around between -12 to -6 avoiding peaking.

Any AA battery will be fine but why don't you want to use rechargeable batteries?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »

As mentioned above, it's recommended that you record at 24bit and then convert to 16bit afterwards.  24bit will allow you to set your recording levels conservatively and then boost the volume when you process it on your computer without noticeably increasing background noise/hiss.  As a rule of thumb, you can should aim for peak levels of -12dB to -6dB on the R-09HR, but closer to -12dB is fine too in my experience with it. 

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I would set levels on the R-09HR.

Yep, I don't see any reason not to use lithium AAs. 

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #266 on: February 07, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »
Yep, I don't see any reason not to use lithium AAs.

I agree given that you refuse to use rechargeeables. They will last twice as long as alkalines, I think.

However your battery meter will give you hardly any warning before they go dead, so you'll need to ditch them early to avoid them conking out on you during a recording. Also you'll spend a ton more money on batteries than if you used rechargeables.

Did you have a bad experience with rechargeables? The new eneloop AA's are very reliable, even though only 2000 mA. If you don't record over 5 hours at a time, they would be fine and then you can give them a fresh charge before the next use. Mine are still going strong after 14 months and actually test out at 2100+ mA in my LaCrosse BC-900 battery charger/tester.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline beth

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #267 on: February 07, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »

Thanks.

You can record at the highest quality and down sample to burn to CD. Most of us do that by recording at 48/24 and downsampling to 44.1/16 to burn to CD and post on the net.

this is the linage for my 09hr

mics(ca14 cards/omnis) > pre-amp(ca9100) > line-in on 09HR

With this, you adjust the levels on the pre-amp and on the 09hr until the meter is around between -12 to -6 avoiding peaking.

Any AA battery will be fine but why don't you want to use rechargeable batteries?

I just picked one response, but thanks to all who answered, you all helped.  I will take your advice and record at 24 bit.  But I have a dumb question since I also have limited computer knowledge.  Is it simple to convert 24 bit to 16?  Or can someone point me to a tutorial showing me how to do this?

I guess I don't have a good reason for not using rechargeable, just seeing friends with rechargeables in their cameras run out when they need them.  I'll think about getting them though, I know it will save money.  I'll be travelling with this equipment, but if I just bring an extra pair I should be ok.

Offline flipzoso

• Taperssection Member
    • The Marble Shrine
« Reply #268 on: February 07, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
Hey all! I got my R-09HR used off a taper here (was great offer). Stoked to start using this. Although I'll have to be more active in transferring recordings because with the iriver i would just leave stuff on there for days and weeks, haha. Since this uses the cards, I dont have that much room. And if im recording 24/48 that means I gotta be "real" quick.

No FM recording though  :(

Other than that, just got to find my rechargeable double AAs and Im ready to rock.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:59:57 PM by flipzoso »

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2010, 05:37:29 AM »
Is it simple to convert 24 bit to 16?  Or can someone point me to a tutorial showing me how to do this?

I guess I don't have a good reason for not using rechargeable, just seeing friends with rechargeables in their cameras run out when they need them. 

It's simple to convert 24 bit to 16. Most people don't get a program just to covert-most any audio editor will do it. How to do it depends on the audio editor you'll be using. I use Adobe Audition but there are good free ones. I think many here use Audacity. When you decide on your audio editor, someone who uses it can help show you you to convert, but it's extremely simple.

Most good NiMh rechargeables actually last much longer than alkalines in cameras & recorders and may approach the running time of lithiums. Just keep an extra set on hand and you'll be fine (but except for festivals, you normally won't even need a spare set). 

As to your earlier Q regarding level control on your battery box, the main reason it was included was so that you could adjust levels on the fly with the old style of Sony MD's that had to be paused to change level. With the HR, you can leave the battery box set to maximum level and adjust with the HR.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:59:29 AM by fmaderjr »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com