Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming? part 2  (Read 15661 times)

positively_negative and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DavidPuddy

• (14)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming? part 2
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
I saw a post by Sound Devices yesterday saying that they were halting production of the Mixpre 3 ii due to parts shortages. No estimate on restart date, so if you want one, now could be a good time.

Offline stancourtney

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »
Ordered my MixPre-3 today, 23rd of June, from B & H

Offline justme

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
Firmware version 7.16 for all MixPre models is now available! Version 7.16 introduces new routing options for USB 3 and 4 (MixPre-6, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10T, MixPre-10 II) and performance enhancements (all MixPre models).

New
- USB 3 and 4 can now be routed to MixPre-6 and MixPre-6 II channels 5 and 6 or MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II channels 9 and 10.

Changed
- USB File Transfer mode can no longer be initiated from a USB Keyboard while MixPre is recording.

Fixed
- Limiters are no longer incorrectly disabled in some Custom Mode setups.

https://www.sounddevices.com/download

The updated manual for II-series:
https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/MixPre-II-User-Guide_01.03.22.pdf
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:30:31 PM by justme »

Offline SMsound

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »
Firmware version 7.16 for all MixPre models is now available! Version 7.16 introduces new routing options for USB 3 and 4 (MixPre-6, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10T, MixPre-10 II) and performance enhancements (all MixPre models).

I just installed 7.16 on my original Mixpre-6 (upgrading from 7.10). Has anyone played with 7.16 yet? I went ahead because of all of the bugs I have seen people talking about in recent firmware updates from the last year on their Mixpre Users FB Group (crackles/noise in recordings being the most frightening). However, I'm fairly nervous to depend on the new firmware when it hasn't been crowd-tested yet...
waves -> bits

Offline hipporu

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2022, 04:12:35 PM »
Worked twice this week with Mixpre-6 and Mixpre-6II, 7.16 on both, no problem.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline gaijin

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2022, 09:43:22 PM »
Question about the MixPre<n>-ii Series devices:

I have recently acquired both a 3 and a 6.  I took them out on 2 separate occasions over the last week for test stealth runs.  For stealth, my device typically remains in a backpack for the entirety of the show.  The pocket it is in is left open to allow for some ventilation, but it doesn't get much air across the unit inside of a bag.

For both devices, after approx 1.5 hour sets, I was alarmed by how warm the device was to the touch.  It was not hot enough to the point where chips would start de-soldering, but it was way hotter than I would like to run any electronic device due to the increased wear on the hardware at such temps.  For the second show, I came prepared and dropped a sports injury style gel cooling pack in next to the unit which did mitigate the temp issues.  Practically though, it will be a real hassle to have to remember to freeze and bring along cooling for any stealth show. 

Does anyone else experience warm / hot temps from the device while recording in such scenarios (in my case P48 was on and USB-C was connected to a battery pack providing power to the unit)?  If you are, anything you are doing to mitigate?  Just letting it run hot and not worrying about it?  Should I switch to an L-mount style battery for power and skip the USB-C to help keep temps down?  Any thoughts or tips you could provide would be useful / much appreciated!

Offline justme

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2022, 01:47:34 AM »
The sound devices units are made in aluminium with heat transfer from the internal components.
So a hot casing means cooler components inside.
That said - if the hotter outside casing is not given enough air to achieve convection cooling, the heat will be trapped in the unit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2022 Taperssection.com