Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 82493 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2008, 11:55:58 AM »
Took a few shots of the room.  I'm going to also start a thread in the rig pics area where I will update with more...

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Eigenklang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
Veeeeery nice. Keep the reels turning  >:D

What is this thing on top of the rack right to the turntable? Looks like a tape echo or so.

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
Veeeeery nice. Keep the reels turning  >:D

What is this thing on top of the rack right to the turntable? Looks like a tape echo or so.
Not to answer for Heath, but, I will ;). Thats a Dictabelt and a wire recorder.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
swampy is correct.  we are in the process of acquiring a wax cylinder playback device as well...
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I will go on at your topic @ rig pics.

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
okay, so here is my listening room.

First two pics: Small system for pre-listening new recordings: eeePC, Creek P42 + A42, JBL Control One, Stellavox SP7.

3rd and 4th picture: Main setup, Thorens TD 126 Mk III with Linn Akito & Lyra Dorian, my guitar tube amp, Resolution Audio CD50, next to it the amplifier (Crimson CS 610 C, 620 D).
Loudspeakers: Rehdeko RK 115, in between them my Revox B77 Mk III for plugging in my guitar and creating some nice tape echo  8)

Last picture: Some other nice stuff, very old field telephone (1935), waveform generator, millivoltmeter, portable video recorder, Uher Report.

RebelRebel

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
missed this thread somehow. anyway, my room is here

Offline Tim

« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »
love it! How are the speakers?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »
love it! How are the speakers?

I could sell my Soliloquys today, and replace them with these. I'd have to buy a subwoofer, to be totally satsified though, as I've gotten seriously spoiled with full range speakers that passively carry 25hz).
They are friggin great sounding speakers, especially considering they're bookshelvers. By todays standard, it would rate as a really nice near-field monitoring sysem.
I'd rate this as a warm sounding solid state system.
The David Hafler amps weren't totally outright dissed by tube guys.

Nice.. that's quite a compliment for those speakers :D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
I was admiring that especially fine knob wear earlier. 

I also had a pair of those same ADS speakers you have pictured there until termites ate them, I think I still have the tweeters and maybe the crossovers stored somewhere if you want 'em.  The rest got trashed.

That Halfler stuff is so totally of that period.. the basic geometrical form knobs, the red lettering on black boxes (silver was so old fashioned then), red lights (vs. the current blue LED craze).  It was a red & black boxy aesthetic those days.  I always liked the Halfler stuff back then.  No nonsense.

Looks vaguely like my first 'real' component stereo: Kenwood C-1 preamp, M-1 power amp, and T-1 tuner from around '83 or so, later stolen which left me absolutely heartbroken.  It had two sets of speaker outputs for the main speakers to put the speaker cables in the feedback loop. I bought a fancy Yamaha integrated receiver to replace them, but to my surprise the Yammy stuff didn't sound nearly as nice. That was a formative ear opening experience for me. I still have the 70's Pioneer speakers I used then with some funky looking tweeters (I'll snap a pic) in the back of the room and the Infinity RS4B's I bought to replace them in 1986 that were too big for the thieves to steal.  :P

Halfler surround is retro cool! I used to do that all the time.  The Halfler stuff had dedicated connections for it but you can do it with basically any amp (solid state at least).  You can use either one or two rear speakers (2 are better, wired in series but out of phase) and driven with the L & R positive outputs of the stereo amp.  No ground connection.  It basically creates a Mid/Side matrix that sends only the difference signal info to the rear speakers.  With a mono source nothing goes to the rears.  Nice non-echoy natural ambience effect.  I encourage anyone with a couple extra old speakers sitting around to try it with their 'bedroom' or 'shop' system.  I wired up a buddy's sign shop last fall with two old speakers and some wire he had collecting dust under his desk to his yardsale amp and he was ecstatic.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »
So many coincidences, bud.  If yours have lasted this long you probably won't ever need them but I'm a bit of a pack rat and I appreciate a good cause to clean some house, I'll certainly never use them...OK I admit it, it's just fun to explore the archives sometimes.  I'll try and dig down to the box of old speaker parts in the spare bedroom archaeological site attached to my house.  I had a whole box of EMIT tweeter diaphragms in there that has slowly dwindled down to one remaining spare for my pair.  They kept getting doled out to the handful of close friends I bought Infinity's for when I worked for a local stereo merchant in the latter 80's, all of whom did stupid things to their speakers and let the magic smoke get out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »
I had a whole box of EMIT tweeter diaphragms in there that has slowly dwindled down to one remaining spare for my pair.

Ooooo man, I'm salivating.

I have a pair infinity of RS6B in the TV room and they still sound good.  Never had to replace the tweeters. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
I had a whole box of EMIT tweeter diaphragms in there that has slowly dwindled down to one remaining spare for my pair.

Ooooo man, I'm salivating.

I have a pair infinity of RS6B in the TV room and they still sound good.  Never had to replace the tweeters. 

Nice! If you ever care to get rid of them let me know.  I've thought about finding a pair of those to use as matching surrounds.  I have the RS4B's which are identical to yours but add a second 8" woofer in a floor stander style cabinet.  Never had to replace my tweets either.  Supposedly people that've burnt theirs who didn't have access to new replacement diaphrams with the printed circuit traces on them have repaired the traces with 'fix the car rear window defroster' type kits.

I've wondered from time to time why no one developed a microphone based on the same principal. As a driver it's basically a long aluminum ribbon trace, printed on mylar, suspended between magnets to make a motor.. like a mini, more point-source Magnapan (as I understand it).    As applied to a microphone, I'd think would be similar to a ribbon, with the advantages of being less delicate and having much greater sensitivity. :shrug:

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »
I love my wife...she is sooo understanding

DAC = Nuendo/Steinberg [RME] 8 I/0 96K
Pre Amp = Spectral DMC-30SS
Power Amp = Spectral DMA-250
Speakers = Avalon Acoustics Eidolon Diamonds

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:57:45 PM by SonicSound »
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com