Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 82510 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:21 PM »
SonicSound,

I have to ask about the cable lifters: aesthetic or audible?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »
those speakers are funky, i like it. :coolguy:
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2008, 11:11:17 PM »
Nice! If you ever care to get rid of them let me know.  I've thought about finding a pair of those to use as matching surrounds.  I have the RS4B's which are identical to yours but add a second 8" woofer in a floor stander style cabinet.  Never had to replace my tweets either.

I'll probably keep them forever.  I was going to clean house and priced them on agon.  I saw a pair not as nice as mine but still pretty good for 20yo speakers priced at $175.  I can't cant get close to these for that price.  You should keep a watch for them because they come up occasionally.  Or you could use the 4s for the rears and get those Kappa 9s on agon for the fronts.

I had to replace the woofers in mine.  I had some music on while working on the other side of the house.  I was playing a JGB cassette that I got in the mail that day.  The levels were really low so I had my amp cranked to get the volume up where I could hear it across the house.  The filler was was recorded at saturation.   ::)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
Yikes.

I replaced the surrounds on all four woofs around '95 or so with one of those DIY kits after the originals rotted. The replacements are holding up fine.

edit-
I'd love a pair of those Kappa 9'.  A pair of those were the first speakers that I really made a huge sea-change impression on me.  I was wiring up the switch box in a new display room when the first pair arrived, so I opened the boxes and set them up.  I didn't get much soldering work done that afternoon.  I kept turning around with my mouth open, just listening.  My supervisor came in to see how things were going, and I said, " listen to these things" and we both sat there for about two hours. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:04:11 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what happens, technically speaking; but, it brings about an amazing spark of hologaphic audio realism in playback that is surreal.  It has to be a bundle of cancellations working there!

Whatever it is, those frogs are sure enjoying it!! ;)
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2008, 01:11:41 PM »
SonicSound - thanks for posting those! :drool:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
More like :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Those things are beautiful!

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
Great question.  I have not done any critical listening...

For know I would have to say that these are only aesthetic components. 

The lifts under the MIT/Spectral Speaker cables interface box were scored by my wife for free [she is a coupon queen] .  They are glade scented oil candle holder.

SonicSound,

I have to ask about the cable lifters: aesthetic or audible?
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2008, 10:49:32 PM »
glade scented oil candle holder.

:lol:  awesome

I asked because there are a lot of people who swear by them on the forums and I see them in a lot of pictures on agon.  Someone recommended trying with ceramic cups to see if they made a difference so I tried when I had the MH750s.  I didn't hear anything different but I kind of like the looks of those lifters that look like old phone power line insulators.

I've never heard the Avalons but they sure look nice.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2008, 07:11:25 AM »
ok, so here is my newbie home theater/audio room question of the day....
why in high end systems are the components always kept on stands that are so low to the ground?

just wondering.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »
why in high end systems are the components always kept on stands that are so low to the ground?

just wondering.

So you can operate them when you genuflect?
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
I'm sure there is some esoteric reason for the equipment being near the floor...like to shorten the cable runs or something.
Will I be shunned by the audiophile community if I rack mount my gear and countersink it into a wall so that it's at normal person height and not gary coleman height?      :P
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »

just wondering.

So you can operate them when you genuflect?

That must be it!  ;D

I was going to blather up something about keeping the gravitational potential energy of the cabling and components equalized so the electrons don't flow or or down hill, but that's much more realistic.  Then again, when your cables cost more per foot than the rent, there's another incentive to stoop.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2008, 09:30:46 AM »
because tall wobbles.
a well made chassis is a heavy thing.

Vibration damping elastomer cables tuned to golden-ratio proportions suspending mu-metal platforms hung from cryogenically treated precious metal I beams?

Seriously, why don't we ever see platforms suspended on cables from the ceiling joists in high-end systems?  Seems like ultimate vibration isolation, suspended at grown person height.

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2008, 11:18:03 AM »
I've never heard the Avalons but they sure look nice.

They sound way better than they look.
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com