Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 82390 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
yep, clearly the answer is a bigger house!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »
its not really an issue of making room for it in the entertainment center, but more about heat.  i had it on the bottom shelf but it only had a inch or 2 of gap the whole way around it which wasnt enough for it to keep cool enough.  the shelf is permanant so i can remove it to make more room. 

how serious is the vibration from the sub for the denon?  it seems fine, and i ran it hard this weekend.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
On the discwasher system, even better to be truly vintage.  I have no idea how bad the new ones are, but my (current) one is from 1983 or so.  The one I got in ~1979 was lost in college and I replaced it with my early 80s one.  This "newer" one is nowhere near as good as the 70's one, though it does sound like its better than the current one.

I was at a record show today and came across a table that had 2 of the 1970s 1983 discwasher pads. Original box and instructions as well. I picked one up for $10. Pretty funny, I looked down and laughed when I saw it - had to buy it based on this thread :)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:41:46 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »
 :coolguy:
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
As with so many things, vintage is better....
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2009, 02:13:19 AM »
ok, i took some pics.  still not done, todd still hasn't hooked me up with the silver custom cables, nor have i finished breakin in yet...and im still moving the speakers around to sound right...but! im really happy at any rate.

Martin Logan Preface speakers, a hybrid  transducer/cone speaker

under the desk is my Paradigm PS-1200 sub with my new Adcom Amp on top of it.  beside it is the PC and the brain of my stereo.  im running M-Audio 192> Adcom GFA-545> Martin Logan Preface's.  i know i need an DAC but for now it sounds damn good.  the sub is currently turned off since the speakers seem to be gaining low end as i play them, and its basically a stand.... 

Left

Right

gear closet

the sweet spot

from the sweetness...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:16:08 AM by Jimna »

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:36 AM »
Congrats buddy, glad they arrived. Now I want to hear them!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:56 AM »
I've wondered how those sound...

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »
anytime tim, seriously i would love to have you.  i want to throw a listening party sometime soon. 

nick, i admit im a n00b to the audiophile world, but wow do i love these things.  they sound incredibly wide in sound stage and very detailed.  still not blown away by the low end, but i also only have about 25hrs on them, not to mention they arent placed in the best manor to bring the bass either.  any tips on placement is welcome BTW. (again, n00b here)

edit to add: i did have my paradigms in the same spot before and never came close to the level of happiness these have brought so far.  official ML fluffer from now on!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:12:31 PM by Jimna »

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
they prob. could stand to be a little lower.  the tweeter should be at your head level.
seeing how these are not ESLs, placement shouldn't be a problem.  Use the white noise technique , start w/them perfectly on axis (straight ahead) and toe them in until the white noise foccuses like a ball in the center between the speakers.
then you're done.

MLs respond to quality amplification.  at least the ESLs do any way.  when I upgraded my amps to something very nice, they woke up like someone turned the whoofer on for the first time.

Your room needs a tie-dyed tap from me.
serious!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »
they prob. could stand to be a little lower.  the tweeter should be at your head level.

If you can't change the height, you might try angling them down so the tweets point at head level at the listening location.  My old Infinitys with EMITs (similar tweeters) have limited vertical dispersion and are more sensitive to height than domes.  In addition they like a lot of toe-in. In my case if I line up the outside edge of either cabinet with my listening position so the speakers point (cross) at a spot about a foot in front of me it locks in.  The white noise thing works well to play with that, but for me it's obvious when I hear it with music too.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
i had them lower and it seemed like the desk was cock blocking them while i was editing.  im trying to create a good place to work and play so to say, and all in a room thats less than perfect.  once i raised them the sound quality at my desk was much improved.  sitting at my desk the tweeter is only about 6" above head level.

ill give the white noise technique a try later today.  i agree, i need a phatty die yet. ;)

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2009, 01:53:47 PM »

If you can't change the height, you might try angling them down so the tweets point at head level at the listening location.  My old Infinitys with EMITs (similar tweeters) have limited vertical dispersion and are more sensitive to height than domes.  In addition they like a lot of toe-in. In my case if I line up the outside edge of either cabinet with my listening position so the speakers point (cross) at a spot about a foot in front of me it locks in.  The white noise thing works well to play with that, but for me it's obvious when I hear it with music too.
go idea.  what would be safe to give them tilt?  i do have wicked toe in already though...

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
dont over toe.
ideally, the spread of the speakers should equal the distance your head is to the imaginary horizontal plane they sit in.
so if they are 8' apart, you should be listening from 8' away.

the white noise trick works very well.  its a solid source (where as music is not, you have multiple "images" going on) and a single thing to dial in.  Once you get that down to "the ball of noise", they are calibrated and *anything* you play through them will sound how it is intended to.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
like i said, a less than perfect room.

my goal next is to get a mytek stereo96 DAC.  (long term goal of course)

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com